Retainer question

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

FlyingScotsman

Retainer question

#1 Post by FlyingScotsman »

Hi!

Just got back in after my ortho appointment who told me that in exactly 7 weeks, my teeth shall once again be naked! Which, obviously, I am stoked to hear. I was told that the type of retainer I'm going to wear is the clear plastic tray one (Essix?), since he likes to give paients something to look forward to when it comes to retainment.

The thing is, he said i would only have to wear it at night for nine months and thereafter, a couple of times a week... I was wondering how common this was, since I was under the impression that no matter what retainer you got, you had to wear it 24 hours a day for around 6 months before just wearing it at night.

Cheers! :D

Nikkiekoala

#2 Post by Nikkiekoala »

It verys from ortho to ortho. I have an Essix on the top. I wore it 24/7, taking it out to eat and brush, for a month. I had my retainer check on Monday and was told I could wear it at night time from now on. I have a hawley on the bottom and have to wear it all the time until I am able to get a bridge than I will have a bonded retainer.
As others responed to your post you will find there will be alot of other time frames for retainer wear.
Congrats on getting your braces of soon!

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/