BriteSmile Whitening after Braces, Glue

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jason

BriteSmile Whitening after Braces, Glue

#1 Post by Jason »

Hey,

So I'm surprised there is only a handful of posts about BriteSmile on here. I remember before I even went to a consultation for braces I was already looking forward to getting BriteSmile after I got them off. In my case I wasn't able to get the perfect-looking teeth that a lot of you guys ended up with, so I'm willing to pay the $399 for BriteSmile, if it works I think it will make me happier.

Anyway, a week or so before I was scheduled for debonding, I called BriteSmile and set up an appointment. In the confirmation e-mail they sent, it said to call your specific BriteSmile spa's office if you have had braces removed in the past 4 weeks. Hmm...so I called and they said that you need to wait 6 weeks after getting braces removed before doing BriteSmile (would have been nice if they had mentioned this before I paid). They said it's because all of the glue has to be removed in order for the whitening to work.

Makes sense... so my concern is that my ortho seemed to do a half-assed job of removing the glue after I got my braces off. There was a very obvious amount left after his first round, you know, when they polish your teeth or whatever. I told him there was still glue and he removed some more, then asked me if it was OK without even showing me a mirror, then ran off to some other patients. I looked in the mirror on the way out and saw that there was still glue, but it was hard to catch him so I just went home and figured I'd get it off when I went for my retainers. SO then I went for my retainers and told him I needed it all off for BriteSmile, and he did the same doggone thing this third time..got some of it off, but still left some more and ran off to other patients!

So I'm wondering, does my ortho really suck this badly or did others still find glue on their teeth after the debonding? I wonder if it comes off gradually with brushing at all, since BriteSmile says you need to wait 6 weeks? When I called to cancel the BriteSmile appointment the lady said I needed to have my teeth professionally cleaned..I don't think she necessarily had the glue in mind as the reason for that though. Does anyone know if the hygienist will typically remove glue when you go in for a cleaning at the dentist?

Ok I can't believe how long this message got :) Thanks for reading.

newmetal

#2 Post by newmetal »

Ahh this is interesting. Im planning on getting britesmile whitening after getting my braces off but i did not know about the 6 week wait. I have read other people have gone and got their teeth whitened after a week of being brace free so maybe its just britesmile. I have'nt had my braces removed yet but im pretty sure the ortho should remove all the glue when he takes your braces off, seems pretty unprofessional on his part that he has'nt. Make an emergency appointment with him if its troubling you, as it is an emergency in your eyes as you are waiting to get more treatments on your teeth and his shoddy work is preventing this.

I had britesmile whitening two years before getting braces and i have to point out that it does whiten your teeth, but can show up imperfections so don't stay under the impression that it will hide chips, because it makes them stand out even more from my experience.

Thanks for opening this post, ive found it very interesting.

Many Thanks

Newmetal