Hawley retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sue21

Hawley retainer

#1 Post by Sue21 »

I currently have an Essix retainer. My ortho predicts it will last two years. I've had it for 4 months, and it still feels as good as new. I asked my ortho what would happen once it breaks, and he said I would then get a Hawley retainer which will basically last me the rest of my life.

I'm thinking of asking for a Hawley retainer to be made now (before my Essix breaks.) I don't want to be always wondering when is my Essix going to break and will I be able to get a new retainer made right away. I find the Essix extremely comfortable, but I think I might prefer the Hawley because then my teeth would meet (more naturally comfortable). Also, I'm moving next year and won't be close to my ortho, so I want to get the Hawley made now with him. I don't want to need to find an ortho in a new random city to replace a retainer ASAP because mine just broke. Get what I mean?

1. How much (about) would a Hawley cost? I'm not sure the price is included in my orginal payment, because I will be asking for it to be made before my Essix ever breaks.

2. Are they easier to keep clean than an Essix? It looks it!

3. What were you told was the estimated life span of a Hawley?

Thanks in advance!

becky_boop

#2 Post by becky_boop »

I don't know about #2 or #3, but my orthodontist told me today that the cost of each Hawley retainer is $250.
I'm not weird, I'm just creative. O.o

Iceolated

#3 Post by Iceolated »

My ortho charges $210 for an extra Hawley.

I would think that the Hawley is easier to clean because it is not as susceptible to scracthing like an Essex. The relatively flat surface of a Hawley would also seem to be easier to clean than the channel like groove of an Essex.

As for lifespan since a Hawley is basically an acrylic like piece of plastic with some stainless steel embedded in it I don't see why it wouldn't last for several years if treated carefully and cleaned regularly.

Cheers,

ICE.

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Orthos charge different rates for new hawleys!

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Chris

Re: Hawley retainer

#5 Post by Chris »

1. How much (about) would a Hawley cost? I'm not sure the price is included in my orginal payment, because I will be asking for it to be made before my Essix ever breaks.

2. Are they easier to keep clean than an Essix? It looks it!

3. What were you told was the estimated life span of a Hawley?

Thanks in advance!
1. About $200.
2. I have both, each seems the same challenge to keep clean.
3. My husband's retainer has lasted over 15 years! Then a joint in the wire snapped.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Sue21

#6 Post by Sue21 »

Thanks for all the replies!

Hawleys do seem quite expensive, but considering my moving situation and the inevitable fact that my Essix will eventually break, I am strongly considering getting one sooner rather than later.

Sue21

#7 Post by Sue21 »

Thanks for all the replies!

Hawleys do seem quite expensive, but considering my moving situation and the inevitable fact that my Essix will eventually break, I am strongly considering getting one sooner rather than later.