Retainer Questions

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

becky_boop

Retainer Questions

#1 Post by becky_boop »

So, today I went in to get my retainers. I was told to wear them 24/7, except for when I'm brushing my teeth. I'm supposed to wear them even while I'm eating. I have a few questions...

1. I tried eating with retainers for the first time today, and I'm a little bit scared. It felt very odd. Will I get used to it?

2. Can I still have bubblegum and popcorn? I've been having gum and popcorn nonstop since I got the braces off. Do I have to go back to staying away from sticky/hard foods?

3. Sort of OT, but when did you start talking normally again? Seems like my lisp will never go away!
I'm not weird, I'm just creative. O.o

smile2006

#2 Post by smile2006 »

I enjoy participating in this board especially when I see examples of how people are told the totally opposite thing. Do you have hawley retainers? I do and I was instructed to never eat with them in because you could bend the wire and the wire clasps.... who knows :roll: Do others eat with them in???

I did find my lisp went away after teaching one 3 hour class. I simply told my students (college age) what was going on. They were kind and my speech straightened out quickly! I only have to wear them full time for a month which is over this Thursday. After Thursday at night for a year then 2-3 times per week for life.

becky_boop

#3 Post by becky_boop »

Yes, it's a Hawley. It's probably judged on a case-by-case basis.
I'm not weird, I'm just creative. O.o

alexa

#4 Post by alexa »

I was told to take them out when I eat...

...and since I'm a grazer and rarely eat a meal in one sitting, it leads me to have my retainers out entirely too much... :oops:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

nvcarissa

#5 Post by nvcarissa »

I don't eat with them in, but I drink water and coffee. I have a question about drinking diet coke with them in. Will that hurt them? I am drinking one right now and have my retainers out for worries about the carbonation. But I don't want to have to slam my drink!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

nvcarissa

#6 Post by nvcarissa »

And I was told to wear them 24/7 for the first year, and then nightly after that. Man...everyone is sooo different!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

I take them out for eating and drinking.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007