Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DavidT

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

#1 Post by DavidT »

How do I know which retainer option is best for me? I don't trust my doctor. He wants to put in the built-in-behind-the-teeth things, but I don't understand what keeps the teeth from gapping again. They don't connect to the molars. I'll get a second opinion for sure, but how can I make an educated decision about what is best for me?

DavidT

#2 Post by DavidT »

I know, at first he said only bonded on the bottom. At my last appointment he said bonded for both. Does anyone know if that is a bad decision?

katmc_tx

#3 Post by katmc_tx »

I"m not sure either, its really hard to know what to do or how to respond to what the ortho decides. I'm getting the front four bonded on top and lower six on the bottom with an Essix retainer on top to wear at night only. My husband says to trust the ortho to know what she is doing but its just kinda hard because I dont ever want to have braces on again. What to do, what to do!!
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

Brandyleigh35

#4 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I haven't had this to deal with yet, but my son sees the same ortho and I and he was debraced in June. He got a bonded retainer on the bottom and an essix retainer for the top, but he is only 15, so most likely his teeth will eventually settle and solidfy into this position.

My friend who had her's removed last year has upper, and lower bonded, and an essix that she wears only at night. Her teeth look great! I'm assuming that is what I will have, and actually is what I plan to ask for if I have any say so.

So....I would say it sounds good to me!

Brandy

Dreamer

#5 Post by Dreamer »

I'm going with bonded uppers and lowers and Essix for bedtime! This apparently is the suggested route for older adults in the office where I go.
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

I have a lower bonded retainer (canine to canine) and an upper Hawley.

My ortho doesn't use any additional lower retention method. I, too, was worried about relapse since my lower molars aren't in any retainer.

He told me that just the act of biting will keep my lower molars in line with my uppers which are retained.

So far (it's been 10 months) EVERYTHING has stayed right where it belongs. Seems to work just fine in my case and in manyothers.

It can be done this way, REALLY! :D
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm