retainers and midline

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jay.tee.

retainers and midline

#1 Post by jay.tee. »

it's been a while since i last wrote hehee...

so anyway, i got my braces off on tuesday, dec. 4th, after 2 years and a bit and im very happy about the results. everytime i see a mirror anywhere, i cant help but smile to be reminded of my "new" teeth. but last night, i noticed that my midline is a bit off. so my question is, since im getting a hawley retainer, can it fix my midline...like make it more centered? i mean, it's not really that big of a deal since it's hardly noticeable but im kind of worried that it's gonna worsen or something like that.

thanks in advance!

NotBob1

#2 Post by NotBob1 »

Hi JT. I am right there with you!!! I had to wear an elastic diagonally for about a year to get my midline into place. It was lined up, braces came off, and guess what? It's not lined up anymore!!! :evil: :evil:
Mine is off by about 1/4 of a tooth, nothing to be too worried about, but I had to look like fool for a year and deal with people staring at my mouth when I talked!

My orthodontist told me that the only way to get it lined up is to put braces back on. I don't like this idea! She did say there was a positioner that I could wear, but it may throw other things out of whack. I have decided that I am just going to have to live with it. My teeth are pretty darn lined up, so I really think that I am just being to critical.....

There's my two cents on it. I was pretty frustrated, as you likely are. I know how you feel!

Currently I have retainer woes.....I am on my third lower Hawley as they keep cracking.....

So what do you think you will do? Are you going to do another quick run in braces to line it up? I doubt I will, but it is still on my mind....I am half tempted.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

jay.tee.

#3 Post by jay.tee. »

well, it's not that obvious since you really have to stare at it and realized that it's off by a bit. i mean, it's not that big of a deal to me so im just gonna leave it as is.