Tooth contouring post-braces?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Tooth contouring post-braces?

#1 Post by genxsis »

I have an appointment coming up in less than a week. It's the first one since being debraced 4 months ago. They say it's to check on my progress with the retainer, and for "contouring" my teeth to make sure my bite is right. Is contouring the same as "shaping"?

Here's the thing: For almost every appointment while I had the braces on, the ortho did alot of tooth shaping, grinding away enamel to improve my bite. I was not comfortable with it being done, but he said it makes things better. The teeth he ground down are still rough which has caused the inside of my cheeks on both side to catch and cause me to bite my cheek. I don't want any more of this. If he hasn't done enough grinding yet, I don't think he ever will! Is it safe to just say "no"?

Also, wouldn't changing the shape of teeth at this point cause my essix retainers to not fit the same afterward? They were made for my teeth BEFORE contouring, so wouldn't contouring affect their fit?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Dreamer

#2 Post by Dreamer »

Since the contouring wouldn't affect the spacing I would think that the essix retainers would still fit properly! Hopefully very little will have to be taken off to finish getting your bite just right. I would think that if they feel that it needs to be done that they know what is best although I agree with you it's unnerving to have them do this!
Last edited by Dreamer on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

genxsis

#3 Post by genxsis »

Yeah, especially since this will be at least the 10th time in a row it will be done! Before my treatment, I had assumed tooth shaping was something that would be done once, and it would be done at the very end of the treatment when the teeth were done being moved around.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Dreamer

#4 Post by Dreamer »

They did some contouring towards the last few appointments I had too. It always freaked me out because I worried it would make those teeth more vulnerable to chipping later on. If you have concerns definetely speak up while you have the chance!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

genxsis

#5 Post by genxsis »

Dreamer wrote:They did some contouring towards the last few appointments I had too. It always freaked me out because I worried it would make those teeth more vulnerable to chipping later on. If you have concerns definetely speak up while you have the chance!
I will definately mention my concerns, although it hasn't helped in the past. When I said something before, they always tell me, "All we do is take a very tiny amount off. You won't even notice". But after 10 or more times, it gets noticeable.

genxsis

#6 Post by genxsis »

I actually have pretty much flat out said "no" a few times, but as firmly as I could without sounding hostile. He always told me that if he doesn't do it, my teeth won't meet evenly and will cause uneven wear. So of course I assume he knows what he's talking about because, if I don't, then I look like the bad guy in assuming more than he does.

I will try to be a little more firm this time. Tomorrow is the day of the appointment!

genxsis

#7 Post by genxsis »

Good news! It's all over now! Just 2 days ago was the appointment and I told the assistant that I didn't want the contouring. She then told that to the ortho when he came over and he said it wouldn't be needed anyway. Whew! What a relief! All he did was take a look at my teeth and then have me put my retainers in to make sure they fit, and that was all.

He did mention that since my teeth had moved so much since the braces were first put on, that I will be a long-time retainer wearer. At least it's only at night.

Now my next appointment is in 1 year! I'll miss the assistants!