retainers after 9 days, a problem??

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lpfan91

retainers after 9 days, a problem??

#1 Post by lpfan91 »

i got my braces off last saturday, and my dentist was not able to give me appointment that same week, so now i have to wait till Monday (tomorrow) to get my retainer for the top teeth. Should i be worried that it has been 9 days and my retainer may not fit.

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Alright I know I'm not a forum moderator or anything of that nature but could we keep it simple and post this in one section of the fourms and not all over the forums....

Anyways my response was, All orthos must be different... I will be getting my braces off on April 2nd and will receive my retainers on that day.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

retainerdesigner

#3 Post by retainerdesigner »

I wouldnt worry about it, if they took your impressions the same day you got your braces off. your retainers will be made on the impressions of your teeth when they were perfectly straight. All retainers are made with a little "give" designed into them, so that if there is a little tooth movement they will "give" just enough to put pressure on the relapsed part and push your teeth back into alignment, or in other words, force your teeth back to where your teeth were on the paster models.

hope that comforts you, by the way, your teeth may be sore for a couple of days after you get your retainers, that is just your teeth returning to the positions of the exact moment you got your braces off.
Cade

Dreamer

#4 Post by Dreamer »

Your retainer will be tight initially but your teeth will move back into position very quickly.
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley