nearing the end

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Spidey

nearing the end

#1 Post by Spidey »

Hi,

I am nearing the end of my 2 year treatment, and am in finishing wires on both arches. I had 4 extractions and went through the process of closing up all the gaps with elastics. On my last visit, I was told to stop wearing elastics, and continued to have powerchains keeping the upper and lower 10 teeth tightly in place.

In the 6 weeks since my last adjustment I have had more spaces open up at my back molars... They were not attatched to the powerchains.

Could this be because they are working on my bite and need those teeth to move a little? Does anyone think I might end up in more elastics to close these spaces?

Anybody had a similar experience near the end of their treatment?

Banana1214

#2 Post by Banana1214 »

Towards the end of my treatment I was in all sorts of elastic configurations and my bite kept opening up on the sides and back. Eventually my ortho gave up and took off my braces and put me in a positioner. He said it would work much better than the elastics at this point. Good luck!

Spidey

#3 Post by Spidey »

:D Thanks for the input~ I will keep that in mind!

Spidey

#4 Post by Spidey »

:?
Hi, me again. My bite opened up on one side, I had 3 spaces upen up between my back molars and my midline shifted! All within 2 weeks!
I made an appointment, and she put me back in elastics until the gaps closed, and now I am in a triangle config to close my bite on one side.

Whew- the question is this.

At the end of treatment is it possible to not know where to bite? Bc my teeth are now straight, I feel my midline is a little off. When I bite down a little to one side everything matches up PerFECTLY. When I bite normally the midline is slightly to one side. Or am I just going perfectionist crazy??

Please help.