Removing the Essex retainers are a pain in the...

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NishaGh1

Removing the Essex retainers are a pain in the...

#1 Post by NishaGh1 »

I have so much trouble getting these dang things off! I was told not to use fingernails as they might break, but I seriously can't get it off any other way. I'm afraid with all this pulling at it, my teeth might come loose or become loose.

Also, is it ok if I take off my retainers for a few hours a couple of nights a week? I just got my braces off today and am supposed to wear the retainers for 2 weeks 24/7, but I want to show off my new, naked teeth!

And one more thing...what do you use to clean these bad boys?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I use fingernails to loosen them at the back first, then work them off from the back towards the middle section.

I'd wear them as per your ortho's instructions. Two weeks will pass quickly.

I (try to) brush mine daily and soak them in a denture cleaning solution once a week.

acrowell

#3 Post by acrowell »

Hi I just got my braces off day before yesterday and actually went back to my orthodontist yesterday because my Essix were so uncomfortable. While there (since no one replied to my post a couple of days ago), I asked about feeling as though my teeth were loose, and he told me that feeling that way is normal because the bone still needs to completely fill in the spaces left by the moving teeth, but that they will NOT loosen further or "fall out."

He also told me that, ideally, I should wear them 24/7 over the next two weeks, but not to worry about it if I couldn't.

I've also broken nails already, trying to get the upper out. What helped me is to get a mouthfull of water and pretent to blow (with lips closed) which seems to loosen the suction and allow them to come out easier.

acrowell

#4 Post by acrowell »

Hi I just got my braces off day before yesterday and actually went back to my orthodontist yesterday because my Essix were so uncomfortable. While there (since no one replied to my post a couple of days ago), I asked about feeling as though my teeth were loose, and he told me that feeling that way is normal because the bone still needs to completely fill in the spaces left by the moving teeth, but that they will NOT loosen further or "fall out."

He also told me that, ideally, I should wear them 24/7 over the next two weeks, but not to worry about it if I couldn't.

I've also broken nails already, trying to get the upper out. What helped me is to get a mouthfull of water and pretent to blow (with lips closed) which seems to loosen the suction and allow them to come out easier.

acrowell

#5 Post by acrowell »

AnneC

#6 Post by AnneC »

People ---

Try using a small square of paper towel (~ 3" will do) & grasp your retainer with it near the back on one side to easily remove them.

Makes all the difference in the world -
you'll be amazed at such a simple solution!

If only our clinicians would pass on these tips... :idea:

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

Keep your mouth relaxed not tight when you try to remove them.
Its helps.
I like the paper towel idea posted here. :D
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007