teeth cleaning prior to permanent retainer in?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ishasha

teeth cleaning prior to permanent retainer in?

#1 Post by ishasha »

I now have a new debanding date!!! I'm so excited! I think this time it will happen! :lol:

Now I have a question. My ortho said she will put permanent retainers on my upper and lower teeth. Given it's "permanent", I'm wondering if I need to have my teeth cleaned prior to the permanent retainers being put in.

This may sound kind of strange because I thought usually people clean their teeth right after the debanding day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

diande

#2 Post by diande »

I have a dentist appointment next Tuesday to have my teeth cleaned and my braces come off next Friday. I will also be getting bonded retainers.
However this just happened coincidentally as it was the only date my dentist had available to see me. In the past he did tell me that he could clean with the braces and arch wire so I'm hoping he does a good job.

I have some tartar build-up that's pretty obvious because it's also stained by my tea drinking habits. I plan on having a follow-up dentist appointment as soon as possible for another cleaning, just to make sure my teeth are in the best condition post-braces.

I don't think you should have a problem as long as you don't need any major work done on those teeth that will have the retainer bonded to them.
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

florencegal

#3 Post by florencegal »

My ortho set the date for my bonded retainers for 19th Sept and asked that I see my hygienist for a cleaning as close as possible before this so I'm going on the 17th. I guess it's to make absolutely sure that the retainers don't get bonded down on top of any uncleanliness which would then be stuck next to your teeth forever more! It makes sense to me.

Nothing stopping you then getting another cleaning after debanding to make sure everything is extraspecially sparkly and wonderful, that's what I'm going to do :D