Retainer almost impossible to remove

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SherwoodForest

Retainer almost impossible to remove

#1 Post by SherwoodForest »

I just started wearing the Essix retainers as of late yesterday afternoon. I went to take them out to eat dinner, and I could not get the top one out! I ended up spending about 30 minutes trying, and just gave up. I finally got it out this morning using a metal dental tool. Am I supposed to be able to get this out with just my fingers? Does it get easier over time? I don't mind using the tool, but I don't want to break it! :?

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

DentaKit.com sells a tool for this type of situation. Your orthodontist may have one to give you, so ask him:

http://www.dentakit.com/rereto.html
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

MC Squared

#3 Post by MC Squared »

I just got an Essix on my top teeth 3 days ago (have a bonded retainer on the bottom). I too had trouble taking it out---it has gotten much easier the past day or so...maybe I am just getting used to it. My ortho made a big point of telling me to pull it straight down before pulling it out of my mouth, but I don't have a lot of room in there!! I was not expecting it to take some much effort to get it out, BUT I am so happy to be finished with the brackets and archwires and elastics---the tugging and pulling to remove it seems pretty trivial. Hope you're having an easier time with it!