Told to keep my essix retainer in EVEN when eating/drinking?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amberblue

Told to keep my essix retainer in EVEN when eating/drinking?

#1 Post by amberblue »

got my retainer today.....soooo happy the top braces are off however the dentist has told me to keep my essix retainers in at all times except brushing?? i asked him so i not have to take them out for eating and drinking and he said no.....is this right?? surely they will stain?? am confused.........any help appreciated..has anyone else been told to eat and drink with them in?

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#2 Post by blindboarder2008 »

doesn't seem right that you should be eating and drinking with the essix retainer in. the sheet I got said not to eat or drnk anything with the retainer on cause it could stain like you said or even break. I was also told that by my ortho as well. The only thing I'm allowed to drink with the retainer in is water and clear liquids. I would double check that with the ortho to make sure!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

amberblue

#3 Post by amberblue »

cheers for the reply, i have searched this board gor ages and cant find anybody else who has been told to eat and drink with them in so now im just drinking water with them in and taking them out for meals and ive had no problems so im going to continue this way...thanks for the reply!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#4 Post by blindboarder2008 »

no problem:)
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

sean83

#5 Post by sean83 »

Seriously, it's not possible! The only thing I ever tried with mine in was chewing gum and simply couldn't do it - the fact that it stuck to the retainer didn't help either! I also only ever drank water - anything coloured will stain, anything hot might damage them and you don't want anything sugary getting between the retainer and your teeth :thumbsup:
It's all gone a bit dental...