Just a few questions :)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dilosa101

Just a few questions :)

#1 Post by dilosa101 »

I just recently got my braces removed and have a few questions. I have a bonded retainer which I got straight after I got my braces removed. A few days later I went back to see my orthodontist and I got a hawley retainer too. I got told that I had to wear it 24/7. My question is seeing as I have the fixed retainer, do I have to wear my other one 24/7? Will a few hours a day at school without it make much of a difference? Also he said that I have to wear it 24/7 for 6 months. Heaps of other people I have spoken to said they only had to for 6 weeks. Is he saying 6 months as a precaution and it could be possibly shorter? Also I gag a lot when I have my retainer in and it's hard to have it for an extended period of time. Is there anything I can do to help this or do I just have to wait till my body gets used to it? Thanks

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

Wear it as directed.
It is retaining and perhaps guiding your back teeth in their final positions.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

catfish

#3 Post by catfish »

I have a bonded retainer and hawley retainers, and I was told to wear my hawleys 24/7 for a year. The hawley retainer covers more teeth than my bonded retainer. The bonded one only goes from canine to canine.

I wish I could stop the 24/7 in six months!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

amyweaver29

#4 Post by amyweaver29 »

I have been wearing retainers on the upper teeth. I could no longer remember when I started wearing this.

But this is a lot less painful than the braces. My only complain is that I can't taste very the food if I eat wearing retainers.

Imagine me wearing retainers on the upper teeth and still on braces on the lower teeth.

Whew! I have to put up with these till my ortho reappears.

God bless,