will retainer help my jaw stay in the same position?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

melani

will retainer help my jaw stay in the same position?

#1 Post by melani »

I have only one year left for my ortho treatment, and my ortho is trying to correct my jaw plus my crooked teeth , she did some correction in the jaw by putting elastics, then she puts elastics in different position to correct something else and my jaw is shifted back again, meaning it looks a little to the right , just like before, I wonder if after treatment everything will stay correct way I am so worried.
Will the retainers help to keep my jaw in the right position????

sadpanda

jaw alignment

#2 Post by sadpanda »

Hi -

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you because I'm actually wondering the same thing. I have a long way to go (2 years) and a lot of work needs to be done with correcting my bite and overjet, tmj and jaw alignment problems, but if the retainer won't keep my jaw aligned right, then what's the point? I didn't really get braces to straighten my teeth (although that's a plus), but rather to fix all the problems that are causing me frequent migraines.