Please help me choose a bottom retainer!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

reedross

Please help me choose a bottom retainer!

#1 Post by reedross »

3 weeks ago, I got my top braces off and have a plastic retainer (my dentist calls it a trutane retainer) - it is comfortable and I have no issues with it and do not mind wearing it at all. He wants to put in a fixed retainer when he removes the bottom braces.......... I had planned on getting a plastic one for the bottom, also. My teeth move very easily (as in, when they change the wires etc, we can actually SEE the teeth move while I sit in the chair)....... he feels a fixed retainer is best. The dental assistant thinks that the plastic one would be better for me because it would hold ALL the teeth in place and not just the front ones - plus I clench my teeth at night and this would help in that regard also.

I'm interested in opinions! Thanks!

jem

Re: Please help me choose a bottom retainer!

#2 Post by jem »

Why not get both?

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

reedross

#3 Post by reedross »

He didn't give me that option......... but I supposed I can ask on my next visit.

Jethro

#4 Post by Jethro »

Congrats on getting debanded. As for the bottom retainer, I also recommend you get both fixed and removable retainers since you seem to be a high risk for relapse based on your prior experience. I'm in the same boat and have both (top and bottom). A bit of a pain at times, but far better than having your teeth relapse. Good luck.

reedross

#5 Post by reedross »

I will be giving them a call next week and asking if having both the fixed and the trutane retainer is possible......... I'm trying to figure out how the trutane fits over the fixed....... does anyone have a picture? I'd think it would 'catch' on the fixed retainer while you were putting it on.

denSMSgt

#6 Post by denSMSgt »

I don't like the fixed retainer thought at all! I say this because (some may have seen my fixed retainer gripes) I'm in braces again after a failed supposedly fixed bottom retainer. I won't go into the details, or rant too much about it again here, but if you do get the fixed retainer, I'm with the other posters, ensure you have an essix to go along with it. Personally I'd just ask to forego the fixed one, since it's hard to floss, and you can have issues with cleanliness and even eating certain foods (biting into an apple broke mine once).

Relapse does suck! Best to ya- and of course SMILE!

reedross

#7 Post by reedross »

I originally was totally against the fixed retainer........ I really didn't want anything like that in my mouth, and when my son had one, it broke and his teeth moved. My ortho is very insistent (but will do what I want) that a fixed retainer is the best choice for me because of how easily my teeth move - he feels that the plastic retainer will not do a good enough job. Flossing isn't a big deal, I can deal with the 5 spaces that will be difficult, so that isn't really my issue........ it's more being sure my teeth do NOT move anywhere.

Jethro

#8 Post by Jethro »

The mold for your removable retainer will be made after the the fixed retainer is applied (if he goes that route), so the removable one won't interfere with the fixed. I've beem putting my removable retainers in and out for over a year without any issues, although I'm sure some day the fixed will come loose :shock: .

Orome

#9 Post by Orome »

I would go with the plastic one.

coconutqueen

#10 Post by coconutqueen »

I've had both fixed (upper and lower front six) and removable retainers (plastic trays) for the last four or so years.

A few months ago, I noticed that when I was flossing between two upper teeth, the floss could go all the way up to the gum margin. This was because the upper fixed retainer had fractured.

I let it go for around four to six weeks because I was going overseas. I continued to wear my removable retainers as before.

When I did get around to calling my ortho about it, one of the teeth that had been bonded to the retainer had drifted out of alignment. The removable retainers had not prevented this from happening.

The problem was corrected through two weeks' invisalign wear after which I had a new upper fixed retainer put in place. It seems that if I want all my teeth to stay put, then this is the best form of retention for me.

I would be asking your ortho what is best for your case and going with that recommendation.

Zoie51

#11 Post by Zoie51 »

My ortho told me that I would have to have the removable retainers because they will hold my teeth in place better. I have to wear them 12 hours a day.

Angel269

#12 Post by Angel269 »

I will be having a fixed and a removable Essix style retainer.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

BracedSurgeryStudent

#13 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

I personally love my Bottom Hawley retainer :)
Jenn Medeiros