Teeth shifting whilst waiting on retainers. Distraught

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brace36

Teeth shifting whilst waiting on retainers. Distraught

#1 Post by brace36 »

Hi. I had my porcelain brackets removed yesterday and it was awful. The brackets smashed into pieces and took many goes to remove fully. Anyway, in 24 hours my front tooth has moved slightly. I'm really upset. My dentist said this might happen but retainers would push the shifting teeth back. I've got a 10 day wait for retainers as my dentist is now on holiday and I need my two two front teeth filing down at the bottom. All moulds have been taken. I'm getting two retainers. One day one night.

Will my teeth shift all the way back to how they were in the beginning? I'm worried that they might just fall back to being overlapping. I've been crying most of the day as I didn't expect this much movement. If you have been through this please help with advice. I'm worried and scared.

Jethro

Re: Teeth shifting whilst waiting on retainers. Distraught

#2 Post by Jethro »

Hey brace36,

Congrats on getting debanded! Don't worry, your teeth will not relapse significantly in 10 days. Since the molds (moulds) for your retainers were taken at debanding, any minor shifting will be corrected once you start wearing your retainers.

Again, congrats!

brace36

#3 Post by brace36 »

Thank you. My ortho provides v little info. I don't even know what retainers I'm getting and if they will hurt. Your message has helped allay my concerns. It's so upsetting when teeth start shifting back.

lana23

#4 Post by lana23 »

That sucks that you have to wait so long for your retainers. I recieved mines the same day but would have rather waited to get my molds done because my gums were so swollen when the braces were removed. When my gums went down after getting a thorough and deep cleaning the retainer no longer fit! :cry: