Did anyone get spotty teeth??....

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

johnnys_angel

#1 Post by johnnys_angel »

Hi Lucyloop :) I myself didn't have any spots when I got my braces off, but I think I remember hearing somewhere that the 'spots' are from improper brushing/flouride/flossing while in braces...I'm not sure though. Good luck!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

HollyDontSpend

nope

#2 Post by HollyDontSpend »

Nope, no spots. I was worried though! I was given a picture of decalcification (or however you spell it) and I have been a brushing freak!! But I did have a few lax times after the first 5mos wore off. My teeth looked great. Your treatment will be fine as long as you are a good brusher (as in, "without having a parent reminding you to brush"). Have fun! :wink:
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

lesliew

#3 Post by lesliew »

I didn't have a problem with spotty teeth, but I was concerned because my teeth were severely stained from all the black tea I drank when I wore my braces. The staining was so bad my ortho couldn't get it all off when he took my braces off. He told me to go to my dentist for a good cleaning, but there was no way I was going to walk around with dark stains on my teeth while I waited for an appointment. Thank goodness they sell dental scalers in the drugstore. I bought one when I left his office and went home and cleaned all the stains off. When I got back to the office later to get my retainer he couldn't believe how great my teeth looked! The assistant asked me if I was a dental hygienist. I'm not. I told her I was just desperate and determined! :D

weird_wired

#4 Post by weird_wired »

Ooo - what exactly is a dental scaler and how easy is it to use?

I have tea stains on the back of my teeth which I hate. They build up again after only a few months after the hygienist gets them off.

Granola

#5 Post by Granola »

Ooo - what exactly is a dental scaler and how easy is it to use?

I bought one at Target, made by DenTek. It is a "cheapie" version of what hygienists use. I'd used one years ago (on my dog's teeth) so I had an idea of the basic motion to use. I wouldn't recommend using one too often without checking with your dentist, but on occasion, it has helped me eliminate a stain (I just had a bunch of dental work and something during that work left me with some weird stains, which the DenTek scaler took care of). The link below shows a similar item to what I bought, but mine came with a scaler and an interdental pick.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... -0-SRCH-HV
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check