Nervous about getting braces off

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TeenQueen

Nervous about getting braces off

#1 Post by TeenQueen »

Okay I am actually excited that in less than a week I will be brace free but I was wondering if anyone else was nervous about getting them off? I have had my braces for about a year (second time though) and part of me is a little scared that they might re-lapse after I get them off or my teeth will look kind of spotty. I was very good about brushing after every meal but have to admit I got a bit lazy with flossing and the actual technique of brushing. I guess my question is, did anyone else have these fears but once the braces were off, everything turned out okay?

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Hello, and an early congrats to you! I, too was very nervous about getting debanded, simply because I wasn't as careful as I should have been. But everything turned out totally fine-no spots, marks, or stains whatsoever. And my teeth have actually gotten straighter since I got my braces off! (nice retainers :) ). Good luck!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Heffer

Re: Nervous about getting braces off

#3 Post by Heffer »

TeenQueen wrote:I have had my braces for about a year (second time though) and part of me is a little scared that they might re-lapse after I get them off or my teeth will look kind of spotty.
When my braces were removed I didn't object even though I thought that my teeth are still not fine (I only had braces for about a year). Now, I'm thinking of getting braces again. May I know why you had braces twice?

akrapols

#4 Post by akrapols »

I had my braces on second time also. Mine was off in December. Now they have shifted a little...I will just live with it...I think that's how my teeth want to be. Not thinking about having braces on the third time.

Heffer

#5 Post by Heffer »

Did you guys pay extra to the dentist when you had your braces again for the 2nd time?

akrapols

#6 Post by akrapols »

I did pay for my second time because it was 15 years after the first time.

johnnys_angel

#7 Post by johnnys_angel »

My orthodontist will do anything he can to keep my teeth straight for up to ten years after debanding because if my teeth relapse it's "his fault" (I have bonded retainers)-his words-, which I thought was very thoughtful of him. I love my ortho :)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

downhillsnowskier

#8 Post by downhillsnowskier »

I figured I was pretty good about brushing in braces, but not so great with flossing. There were some discolored areas, decalcification, in hard to reach spots on my teeth, like right below brackets or bands since I had full bands on many of my teeth. Right now, I floss after every meal and they have me on a prescription toothpaste called Prevident which adds extra fluoride to build up the teeth again. An electric toothbrush really makes a difference too, mine is a braun.

TeenQueen

#9 Post by TeenQueen »

Hi, thanks to everyone's response. I did get my braces off on Feb 6, 2006 and was actually pleasantly surprised, I thought they looked quite good (not hollywood good but regular person good) I did not have any spots. My teeth aren't the whitest to begin with so I think bleaching may be in my future. The reason I got braces for the second time was because the first time I got them I was 10 years old (I am now 36) and back then the practice was to only wear the retainers for a year then you were done. They did not predict that teeth would naturally want to go back to their original alignment, so in my late 20's they really started to shift, by the time I was 30, I was starting to have problems. So I have to say I am glad I went through with it again, I am very pleased with the results, although I do have to say the retainers are a lot more work then I remember, I really have to plan my meals since I have to wear them 24/7 and must brush each time before I put my retainers back in (the only times I am not supposed to wear them if for eating and brushing). So I guess to sum it all up I am very happy :lol:

Kell

#10 Post by Kell »

That's great that you are happy. You can't do better than that. I've been wondering something, how long do you have to wear your retainers 24/7? I'm no where near that point so I haven't asked my ortho but I've been wondering.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

johnnys_angel

#11 Post by johnnys_angel »

I'm so happy everything turned out well for you, TeenQueen! :D Congratulations! Have fun with your beautiful new smile!!!

TeenQueen

#12 Post by TeenQueen »

I guess every case is different in terms of retainer wearing. I believe the usual is 6 months. I have a follow up appointment April 3 and the ortho will decide at that point if he wants to reduce my time to just nights. I do have to say that talking is still a little difficult. I have the essix retainer on the top and the hawley retainer on the bottom.