braces off for a month. did not wear retainers full-time

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

houstonguy02

braces off for a month. did not wear retainers full-time

#1 Post by houstonguy02 »

I'm so worried about my teeth. I was supposed to wear them 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week, but I was only wearing them before and after work.
Last edited by houstonguy02 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geri

#2 Post by Geri »

Ohhhh - I really feel for you - that mut be horrible.

I'm not yet in your situation so I can't help with first-hand experience, but I would talk with your ortho, despite your embarrassment, and see what he/she says. Retainers might be all that is needed and, if not, at least you know the situation and can make an informed decision from there. Good luck and keep us posted.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

ItsGavinC

#3 Post by ItsGavinC »

You MUST wear retainers. Certain fibers that are needed to hold teeth in place don't mature for 12-14 months after the teeth have moved to their final positions. Without added retention, teeth are prone to move.

Retainers may apply the needed pressure to cause your teeth to move back towards their final ortho destinations, but you really need to discuss this with your doctors. Don't be ashamed. You invested time and money into ortho and need the best possible outcome.

Just as with braces, your speech will overcome the retainer situation. Do yourself a favor and wear them!

SuzyQ

#4 Post by SuzyQ »

Ask your orthodontist to give you permanent retainers. The wires are bonded to the backs of your upper and lower teeth. They don't interfere with your speech as much as removable retainers, and no one can see them.

downhillsnowskier

#5 Post by downhillsnowskier »

I'm curious how this has gone for you. Did you find that the retainers were able to pull your teeth back together? I would guess that if they haven't moved too far, it would be possible to get them back. I'm sure you've found by now with continuous wear that the lisping has gone or is much better. Good luck.