need some feedback (Damn I am depressed here)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

banachspace

need some feedback (Damn I am depressed here)

#1 Post by banachspace »

Hi, when I was 16 I got my braces taken off and now I am 22 and my teeth are getting more and more crooked. I have an appointment with the orthodontist soon and I am scared I will have to wear braces again. Is there anyone out there who has had the same problem? My teeth are still straight, but they are getting worse every week (there is definite movement). How long will I have to wear braces for? I cannot take more than 4-5 months; braces look awful.

Diona

#2 Post by Diona »

I am in braces for the second time around. My first set of braces came off when I was 15 and then I only wore my retainers for 1-2 years. When I was 24 I was told I needed braces again and so I took the plunge! (I have also heard of lots of other people who have been in this same situation!)

I won't deny that I was completely depressed intitially - but that feeling went away quickly. I have had my braces on for just over two years now, and the time has gone really quickly, also I have clear braces on my top teeth, so many people do not even notice that I am wearing braces. The whole process has been really good and not at all the horrible two years that I thought it would be!!

In the end, my reasoning to take the plunge (again) was that I got braces the first time to have nice straight teeth and if I just let them move back to their original position, then I had just wasted a lot of time and money!

I am extremely glad I made the decision I did, because I am really happy with the way my teeth look now.

Good luck with making your decision :)

banachspace

How bad did it get?

#3 Post by banachspace »

My teeth are not that bad. I mean, I just want them to stop moving and perhaps have them a little straighter. I am willing to use a retainer to straighten them out a little bit and keep them in place, but I doubt that I would need braces for two years! How come you needed braces for two years? Isnt that alot time? I could never do that, I really admire you.

AS anyone used a retainer to straigthen things out a little bit?

Diona

#4 Post by Diona »

I had a really bad overbite to begin with (My first treatment went for 5yrs!), but when I got them the second time they were not anywhere near as bad, but its just been a slow process and because I am older now my teeth have moved really slow :( The good thing is I think this time they will be better than the first time!

The second time around my ortho said I could get a retainer to hold them in the position that there were in - so it wouldn't fix them, but they would not get worse either. But I decided if I was going to pay money I would do it properly.

Maybe you could look at invisaligns? they perform the function of braces but look like a retainer (in fact a clear retainer), They don't suit everyone, but maybe if you don't need to move your teeth that much they would be good for you!

banachspace

#5 Post by banachspace »

I think I will probably just use invaslign to fix things up. Did any of you out there use invasilign after having braces for a number of years to straighten your teeth. How long did it take ? Is it possible to only need treatment for a few months (like say 4-5 months). Obviously, you cannot see my teeth, but there is some crowding starting on the bottom teeth and it is really bugging me. What are the best candidates for invaslign? What makes you a BAD candidate for it?

Thank you

downhillsnowskier

#6 Post by downhillsnowskier »

I am getting ready to use a Hawley retainer to tighten a few things up and make some minor changes. The only ortho I've consultes with so far said about six months. I would expect a bit longer, but when I first had braces I was told 3 years and it ended up taking just under 23 months, so it can go either way.

The choice depends on how much you dislike the state of your teeth. I am not happy about wearing Hawleys 24/7 for six months but I'll do it because I can't stand the gap in my front teeth reopening and one of my lower teeth corkscrewing around.