Brushing after extractions

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

reba678

Brushing after extractions

#1 Post by reba678 »

I have an oral b electric toothbrush that I LOVE....I am having 4 bicuspids extracted tomorrow and I'm curious to know if I will be able to use the toothbrush, or if I should buy a soft bristle brush until the incisions are healed. Anyone have any suggestions?

nita

#2 Post by nita »

I ended up buying a little kid toothbrush - one with a tiny little head and super soft bristles just for brushing the teeth surrounding the extractions. Your oral-b should be fine for the other teeth, though, as long as you are careful.

Definitely follow the advice of your dentist/oral surgeon. I can't even remember if they said anything about brushing after the extractions when I had mine done, but I do remember having to brush very gingerly on the first night.
Top brackets and spacers on 2/17/06
Molar bands on 3/6/06
Extractions and full braces 3/27/06
Update: 22-24 months total time in braces!