Is electric toothbrush ok for braces???

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracey

Is electric toothbrush ok for braces???

#1 Post by bracey »

I have one of those oral b brushes with the little round head. Is it fine to use it on your braces or will it be too rough for them, I dont want to try in case I knock one off, but I am finding the special ortho brush really tedious and difficult...........

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

I use one of those and it seems to do a good job. Some people find the Sonic brushes better, but I personally didn't get on with that.
An electric toothbrush does take some of the hard work out of brushing.

bracey

#3 Post by bracey »

ok so you can get a special ortho head for the oral b brush? I will try and buy one.
The orthtodontist gave me a kit with a travel brush and normal orthodontic brush, but maybe I just have to get used to using it or something?! it feels too big and square!!! and it definatly doesnt fit right. :roll:

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

You can get a special head, but they're quite expensive. I just use the normal heads because they wear out quite quickly when you are brushing over braces.

If you're struggling with the orthodontic V-cut toothbrush you might want to try a child's soft toothbrush and perhaps some of those interdental brushes (the ones shaped like a tiny Christmas tree) to get between the brackets.

Blackcat

Electric toothbrush

#5 Post by Blackcat »

I tried my electric toothbrush (I have had my braces on for just three weeks now) and it hurt like hell, will it get better or did you guys never have any problems? It's such a drag with all the brushes and things, I use TEPE tiny interdental brushes which I've been very impressed with, and a couple of manual brushes. I have also got some staining on my teeth - any suggestions?

bracey

#6 Post by bracey »

thanks for all the tips,
I couldnt fing the ortho head for the orl b, I looked in three different chemists, but now Im gonna look on ebay,

the kids toothbrush works good on my braces :)

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

bracey, are you in the UK?

You can buy them from amazon.co.uk and also from www.dentocare.co.uk (cheaper), they are still about 4 quid each though, and I bought a pack of 4 of the "normal" heads off ebay for around 4 quid!

bracey

#8 Post by bracey »

no I am in ireland so its like the antartic as far as getting stuff goes, had a look at some uk websites but im gonna end up paying a lot for postage, so I thought I'd ask my local chemist to order the heads in for me instead!! :wink:

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

good idea! :D

Blackcat

#10 Post by Blackcat »

Thanks KK I will persist with the electric toothbrush! :D
I will def go for a professional clean before my wedding.