will mouthwash stain my braces?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kellyw :-)

will mouthwash stain my braces?

#1 Post by Kellyw :-) »

Today I will be getting braces but because mothwashes are usually blue/green/pink I'm worried they could stain either the rubber O thingys or my clear brackets.

Anyone help? :Questions:

Kellyw :-)

#2 Post by Kellyw :-) »

thanks, I'm a bit of a worrier

Nikkiekoala

#3 Post by Nikkiekoala »

Don't use Crest Pro-Health. It doesn't stain but does leave little blue (or green depending on the flavor) specks of stuff that is hard to get out of the braces.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

manna22

#4 Post by manna22 »

Nikkiekoala wrote:Don't use Crest Pro-Health. It doesn't stain but does leave little blue (or green depending on the flavor) specks of stuff that is hard to get out of the braces.
that's soo funny you said that...I use the pro health and I always had mouthwashed last b/c it left blue mouthwash stuff on my tongue..and when I got my ceramics on...and I mouthwashed....i about died when I opened my mouth and saw the amount of gook on my braces!!!! you have to brush your teeth again to get it off!!!

I wonder what it is about CREST pro health that does that? :Questions:

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

I use Colgate Phos-Flur (flouride rinse) Gushing Grape (it's purple like a popsicle) on a daily basis and no staining.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

kypsis

#6 Post by kypsis »

For me, the Crest Pro Health blue mouthwash leaves residue on the wire, little "stringy" fellows - but only on the wire, not on brackets or teeth. If I rinse a few times with water, or just touch one of my broxy brushes to that blue residue, it comes right off. Does that mean my wire has bacteria even after I brush? How should I brush to get rid of the bacteria on the wire?

Good to hear I'm not the only one who this has happened to. The first time I was quite shocked, and couldn't figure out what had happened to cause my wire to turn blue...

laurene

#7 Post by laurene »

I can't seem to find some of the mouthwashes everyone is talking about like Pro Health(I have only seen the toothpaste) and ACT. I am in Vancouver Canada and it seems like the selection here for mouthwash is quite limited. I have checked out the 2 major drug stores here and still nothing. Is there anyone from around here that have found the above items?

Also, does anyone know of a mouthwash that contains fluoride, tarter control, and whitening all in one? I don't want to have to buy 2 or 3 different types of mouthwashes.

Thanks

mindykatz

#8 Post by mindykatz »

I tried posting this message earlier but got an error, so I don't think it posted. If it did and this is a repeat- sorry!

Just a non-braces related warning about Crest Pro-Health products (mostly about the toothpaste). If you are sensitive to fluoride or have very sensitive/blemish-prone skin, you may want to stay away from the Pro-Health line. I began using it when it first came out, and in about a week developed dozens and dozens of tiny pimple-like bumps around my lips and chin. I went to the dermatologist after I couldn't clear them up with OTC acne meds - apparently I am hyper-sensitive to the type of fluoride used in the Pro-Health stuff (I forget what it's called but it is a different type of fluoride than you see in most other toothpastes - its on the toothpaste label). Because of this, I developed something called perioral dermatitis, which caused the bumps all around my mouth. I temporarily switched to fluoride-free toothpaste and the bumps went away in about 3 weeks. However, if I would have kept using the Pro-Health for a longer period of time, I proably would have needed perscription antibiotics to clear it.

Just a warning! Perioral dermatitis looks awful (look it up on google images!) and I don't wish it upon anyone! Fortunately most people don't have this problem! :crazy:

Meloho

#9 Post by Meloho »

Ok, I get the little blue stringy things on my braces after my rinse with Oral B Anti-bacterial mouthwash (usually alcohol-free, but had to get the alcohol one for now). As far as I knew, it was just what sticks when it mixes with saliva. How do you guys know it's evidence of bacteria missed when brushing? I mean, maybe my anti-bacterial wash isn't doing it's job then??

chinaorthodontic

#10 Post by chinaorthodontic »

I didn't meet the situation, everything seems well. It doesn't stain.

Rosie

#11 Post by Rosie »

I love the Colgate Plax Whitening mouthwash...Has anyone used this with clear or light coloured ligs? Does it stain? I'm getting braced today and I never even thought about mouthwah staining clear ligs.....

I've also got Dentyl or could purchase colgate fluorigard from the Orthodontist today......Does anyone know if these products stain???