Month washes

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Vyse

Month washes

#1 Post by Vyse »

OK, i know that acid is bad for the teeth as it errodes away at the enamal. Mouth washes release H+ so doesnt that mean there bad for the teeth too?

laurene

#2 Post by laurene »

You must have read my mind, I was thinking the same thing. I have just picked up some mouthwash with no alcohol in it. I would like to know what others think.

Vyse

#3 Post by Vyse »

if they do errode the teeth its kinda like a double edged sword. They fight plaque, however they errode away the teeth.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Bad isn't it, how we naturally assume that something marketed as being beneficial therefore must be.

The mouthwash I use is a 2-phase one which you shake to mix, and it's apparently the same pH as saliva, so I'm sticking to that.

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

It's called Dentyl here Karen, and it's in a kind of cone-shaped bottle. It comes in mint and clove (the clove sounds horrible but it's actually not that bad)

The mint is really nice though. It doesn't burn your mouth because it's alcohol free and it's one of those ones that leaves coloured "strands" so you can see where you haven't brushed properly. I find it useful because of all my extra wires and loops. It's easy for me to miss bits and this stuff shows up where I've not been as thorough as I should.

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Let's hope it's the same stuff then, and that you like it. I think it's great.

joney

#7 Post by joney »

I use this product too and find it great. As Lisa says it shows up bits that haven't been cleaned properly (kinda like disclosing tablets but not so shockingly) so you can quickly proxy brush these areas. It also taste nice, I hate the taste of a lot of mouthwashes. Glad to hear that the ph is good too. Would hate to think of people ruining their enamel with mouthwash. Scary.
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Salacia

#8 Post by Salacia »

I use Dentyl pH regularly. I got a bit of a shock the first time I used it with my new braces - all that pink yack stuck all over my brackets was a little disturbing, although it has shown me the more problematic areas that need more attention when brushing.

4113n

#9 Post by 4113n »

Other day i was watching tv, and they said to never ever brush your teeth after drinking coke. and now reading this, someone said do not brush your teeth after using the mouthwash.

but whitening as kiwik said, is used for 60 seconds, and the one i used is before you brush. im guessing its very bad then?

Steadfast

#10 Post by Steadfast »

Whoo, I bought Dentyl just cause I liked the funky bottle, but now I'm glad!

4113n

#11 Post by 4113n »

oh kool KK

i must be an idiot but i dont know.. i only started using mouth wash late last year, but do you have to rince your mouth with water after using mouth wash?? im pretty sure you do tho...

4113n

#12 Post by 4113n »

WOW really?.. i still feel stupid for even asking... sorry about your experiences

so i was wasting my time using it =S i normally brush my teeth late at 11pm-12am at night, and because my mum gets angry im still online, gaming lol i just brush and mouth wash quickly, then get some water to drink because if i dont the mouth wash makes my tounge dry and have a very bad taste of "old mint?", my tounge also looks bad. ill probly need to brush earlier like my mum wants coz the brushing is "too loud"

ty

4113n

#13 Post by 4113n »

Meryaten wrote:4113n - sounds like you're using an alcohol-containing mouthwash? Certainly these are more apt to leave your mouth feeling dry. Switching to a non-alcohol rinse might help. ACT, for example, is a great fluoride rinse that (excepting one type) does not contain alcohol.
thanks for suggestion but i think the only mouth washes they sell here are listereen and colgate ones. and ill just drink water half an hour later b4 i sleep. =)

4113n

#14 Post by 4113n »

Meryaten wrote:4113n - sounds like you're using an alcohol-containing mouthwash? Certainly these are more apt to leave your mouth feeling dry. Switching to a non-alcohol rinse might help. ACT, for example, is a great fluoride rinse that (excepting one type) does not contain alcohol.
thanks for suggestion but i think the only mouth washes they sell here are listereen and colgate ones. and ill just drink water half an hour later b4 i sleep. =)