Closing the Gaps

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

DavidT

Closing the Gaps

#1 Post by DavidT »

I'm curious about how everyone's orthodontist is closing the gaps. Mine has been using a closing coil and power thread for three years. It looks like power chains and arch loops are more popular.

Also, did your doc straighten first and then close? Mine started closing right away and we're now having straightening issues.

eggraid101

#2 Post by eggraid101 »

There are many ways to tackle the problem of closing space, and the ones you mentioned can all work well. Unfortunately, some people's teeth move more slowly than others.

I would talk to your orthodontist about your concerns, and hopefully he can explain the process he is using. If you are unhappy with the answers, maybe discuss things with your dentist and think about getting a second opinion. Switching orthodontists doesn't necessarily make things faster, but you may find that you're more comfortable talking with someone else.
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

Remember: your orthodontist knows your dental history and orthodontic condition best. I can guide you toward better orthodontic information than if you were left on your own and hopefully in doing so play a small part in your quest to achieve a beautiful, fully functional smile, but you should consider your orthodontist the best source of information.

http://www.mullenortho.com

dugsmom

#3 Post by dugsmom »

I just got braced on April 7th and the assistant told me that they will start closing the gaps next month...that's the first thing they will start doing which is now worrying me...I don't want to have straightening issues!!!! Let me know what you find out...I'll have to ask my ortho when I go in for my first adjustment.

Jessica