Underestimated waterpik

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

edinburger

#31 Post by edinburger »

Yep - it's good! :D

Teeth/gums are a bit sensitive after a couple of tries with the powerful nozzle so I'm going to switch to the less powerful nozzle for most days.

JoviFan

#32 Post by JoviFan »

anybody have the SPAMTRONIC SPAMSONIC SPAMONAIDE SPAMSTER SPAM SPAMINATOR EW1270 portable? It gets better reviews than the Waterpic portable brand....I'm looking for something to keep in my purse and take on 'over nighter' trips :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

CanehdianGal

#33 Post by CanehdianGal »

I have been using the cordless waterpik...Been braced for 3 weeks. I least I can take it with me when I go out and eat.

Frederik

I have found Waterpik in Australia

#34 Post by Frederik »

After years of searching I have discovered that an Australian firm is importing Waterpik from the United States (with Australian voltage).

They have mail order anywhere in Australia.

They can be found at http://natdent.net/

ame_malia

#35 Post by ame_malia »

After using my waterpik for the first time, I had the same thought as turrrtlelove22; what would you possibly use the really high settings for? I can only use the 2 lowest on mine ( I accidentaly put it higher than that, and it made me bleed!
Also, I have no idea what model mine is. One of the older ones, that's for sure, as my mom has had it for a while (she bought it to clean out my dad's ears......)
But, yeah, what could the highest setting possibly be used for?!?

Delag

#36 Post by Delag »

JoviFan - did you buy the SPAMTRONIC SPAMSONIC SPAMONAIDE SPAMSTER SPAM SPAMINATOR? I want to get one for a trip in April - will have to get it there as I don't live in the US.

JoviFan

#37 Post by JoviFan »

Delag wrote:JoviFan - did you buy the SPAMTRONIC SPAMSONIC SPAMONAIDE SPAMSTER SPAM SPAMINATOR? I want to get one for a trip in April - will have to get it there as I don't live in the US.
Actually not yet.... I've sort of decided that I can go a night or 2 without using the waterpik if needed :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

Delag

#38 Post by Delag »

Well, I wound up getting a Conair Rechargeable Portable Water Jet (all I could find). The water tank is a detachable bit on the botom, so fill up is easy. The bottom then turns into a cover when not in use, but to use the cover you must detach the cleaning nozzle (there is a handy place for it). There is a metal 'straw' that needs to pop down into the tank before use - this means that you must keep the water jet in a fairly vertical position or the water won't suck up into the straw. Because the water goes up through the machine, there is really no way to dry it out well, and I can shake quite a bit of water out after use. The force is stronger than the #4 setting (1/2 power) on the regular Interplak, and it tends to pulse more than the electric model. The charger is quite small - similar to that of a cell phone. While it is small unit, it would be a bit bulky and heavy for a purse IMO. I don't love it, but it will do the job for travel - cost, $20 USD.
Update: used this for a week - it does not hold a charge well - maybe it is just dying already. I recharged the unit after 2 days, and it did not have the same potency as when I first used it.

Meloho

#39 Post by Meloho »

I doubt there is any model that can do the damage you're thingking about, as it would need to almost be able to blow your teeth down your throat for that.
One of the few comments I really do laugh out loud at... :lol:

I use a waterpik too, the WP-60 Personal. I use the lower setting on the front of my teeth (where the brackets are), the next settingup on the inside of the teeth, and the next setting up from that to blow out junk from under my rickanator. I love how it massages my gums and they are definitely lighter pink since I've been using it.

LilRedPitViper

#40 Post by LilRedPitViper »

I've had a Waterpik Ultra for about a year. I was in love with it before getting my braces, and I don't think I could live without it now that I'm braced!

I really like the attachment head that comes with it, specifically for dental appliances.

My whole mouth feels so fresh and clean after using it. I like to use it right after brushing. It's amazing what just brushing misses sometimes. But the Waterpik gets it right out!

Anyone who might be on the fence about buying on - I say go for it.

:D

married2abuckeye

#41 Post by married2abuckeye »

I recently bought one called "HydroFloss". It's one of those large sinktop units, and it's got like 6 settings. The staff at my dentist said that it works better than a Waterpik, but that's probably because they wanted me to buy it :wink: I've never used an "oral irrigator" before, but I like how this one works and feels. Looking forward to using it when I get my braces on. I just have a feeling that my brushing and/or flossing skills will not be adequate to keep my metal mouth healthy!

I was actually thinking of purchasing one of those smaller Waterpik units to keep at work. I saw a rechargeable one for about $20 that looked nice and convenient for use at the office.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Kirsten

Chocbuttons

I can't live without mine now

#42 Post by Chocbuttons »

I've had mine a month or so and couldn't be without it.

Top braces on last week and bottom tomorrow but no problems with food bits !!

pharrstarr

#43 Post by pharrstarr »

I just got my braces 2 days ago and was thinking about gettin a water pik, after all of your compliments, I'm going out first thing to buy one tomarrow. Wally world the cheapest?

Rainy

#44 Post by Rainy »

Pharr I shopped around and every where I went the Waterpick Ultra was the same price 59.99. Walmart, RiteAid, Bartells, Fred Meyers, Walgreens were all the same. You may want to look at some flyers and see if its on sale anywhere though. Most of those stores have their flyers on their websites.

Like an earlier post if comes with an attachement that has like a little brush on the end made just for ortho stuff. It works great to get stuff out of the middle of ligs and around the edges.

Rainy

MissDiana

#45 Post by MissDiana »

I got my waterpic the night before I got my braces on and I love it. I can't believe the amount of junk it gets out of my teeth, and I can't believe I never had one before.

It's one thing I know for sure I'll keep using after my braces are gone.
Braces on 4/4/07 -
Braces off 3/31/08!