Whitening Toothpastes = Gunky Horrible Mouth

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Alison

Whitening Toothpastes = Gunky Horrible Mouth

#1 Post by Alison »

:) Hi...

This has been happening for sometime now ...but was wondering if anyone else suffers the same?

Ive tried loads of different makes of "whitening toothpastes" but Im finding in the morning about an hour later after brushing I seem to be getting gunky white stuff building up on the inside of my lips??? its VILE! :P

its even worse after a nights sleep?? :cry: my retainer gets it as well as all the inside of my mouth??

it makes it look like the soft tissue inside of my mouth is peeling away...but it isnt....its just gunky and yukky!

does anyone know why this happens? or how I can prevent it? Id like to continue using a whiteing toothpaste but Im a bit sick of all this vile stuff lol
thanks! :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BRACED - 21ST JUNE 2004
BRACE REMOVED- 11TH APRIL 2005
STARTED WEARING A RETAINER - 14TH APRIL 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Echo

#2 Post by Echo »

Wow! I just found your post and can't believe it! I've been having that same thing happen for some time now, but had no idea what it was! I thought it was the inside of my mouth peeling, like you said! I'm so glad someone else has experienced this! So, it's from the whitening toothpaste, huh? Well, I just got braces and switched to a regular toothpaste (don't want my teeth to whiten around my brackets) so I'll see if I stop having that gunky crap in my mouth!

Alison

#3 Post by Alison »

:lol: lol well Im glad Im not the only one!

I was beginning to think I was lol......yes its vile....Im just wondering that there must be some ingredient in some brands/types that react with the saliva.... I cant stand it...but Ive found alot of whitening toothpastes do it for me?

I might just start going back to using a regular type...bit disappointing isnt it! :P :P

oh well at least it wasnt causing me to foam at the mouth lol now that would be something to worry about lol :wink: :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BRACED - 21ST JUNE 2004
BRACE REMOVED- 11TH APRIL 2005
STARTED WEARING A RETAINER - 14TH APRIL 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arabella18

crest extra whitening

#4 Post by arabella18 »

the only whitening toothpaste i have ever used is crest extra whitening, it's the only one that I've found is ADA accepted for plaque prevention as well as whitening... and no chalky buildup...

cazzylee

#5 Post by cazzylee »

I get that with every whitening toothpaste I've used too.. Especially where my gums kind of indent on the top of my mouth, and it's hard to get off like it's thrush or something yech. I stopped using them because of that, try the whitening gels rather than toothpaste. I got it with the sensitive toothpastes too, but I no longer use those since my mouth hurts more using them than not using them...

Joanne

white slime

#6 Post by Joanne »

I had that white slime in my mouth in the morning when using whitening toothpastes, and asked my dentist about it. He mentioned an ingredient in the toothpaste (I forget which one) that is the whitening agent and it it very abrasive. The white slime is a reaction to the ingredient, and if it happens, to discontinue use.
~Joanne

fyrelight

#7 Post by fyrelight »

I think its the PEROXIDE... remember how peroxide foams up on an open wound or in your teeth? Peroxide also whitens your skin temporarily if you pour some on yourself accidentally. That's my bet.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

CelestialVoices

#8 Post by CelestialVoices »

Like I said before, I don't have braces yet. but I use the Crest Sensitivity plus Whitening and maybe that won't have the same effect on you all?
Just a thought. :)

TuZZi

#9 Post by TuZZi »

I've tried at least 10 different toothpastes and the only kind that doesn't leave the nasty, white film is plain ole original Crest.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem.... I thought I had some weird pH balance in my spit or something that was causing that!