Is it ok to use my electric toothbrush with braces?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

mizfiesta

Is it ok to use my electric toothbrush with braces?

#1 Post by mizfiesta »

I've had my brace in for ten months now. It's due to be removed sometime in May. When I got the brace fitted I asked my orthodontist if I could still use my Braun Oral-B Professional Care Deep Clean 8000 Rechargeable Toothbrush. He told me not to use it but instead to use a manual orthodontic toothbrush. I still use the electric one for my bottom teeth as I have no braces fitted on the bottom. Anyway I was discussing this very matter with a colleague at work who has been fitted with braces in the past day or two. She told me that her orthodontist said it was ok to use the electric toothbrush. Can anyone tell me if this is ok to do? Will it not get tangled in the wire? Are there any special precautions to take if you do use electric? Do you have to purchase special ortho heads rather than the usual replacement heads? I'm really disappointed knowing that all this time I could have been using electric toothbrush on my brace as well! It would have made it far easier to keep in free from food debris surely! Any advice welcome. :?

Steph in Sac

#2 Post by Steph in Sac »

My ortho said the electric toothbrush is the best option and is quite preferred. I've been braced for 3 1/2 weeks and use it all the time. Nothing has come loose or tangled. It works great!

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

The good thing about my Sonicare (and probably most others) is that the pressure builds up each time you use it so your teeth get used to it. I think some ortho's think it will be too harsh on your teeth/brackets but I have had mine for 5 months and I love it.

There are different attachments but the one that came with the package works fine. It has a built in timer that shuts off at 2 minutes.

Have you considered getting a Waterpik? The one I bought came with 6 different attachment heads, one being a toothbrush and it works similiar to my Sonicare. I like the ortho attachments also.

b

#4 Post by b »

My ortho recently have me an electric toothbrush, and I actually prefer it to a regular toothbrush. You can get all the areas behind your teeth, and my teeth feel alot cleaner with an electric.
Spacers in Aug. '09
MARA without elbows on Aug/09
Braces on Nov. 20/09
Elbows for MARA in Feb. 25/10
Braces off August 26, 2010!
Essix Retainers

my story: http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=33571

Ashes90

#5 Post by Ashes90 »

I find my Crest electric toothbrush (first one I've ever owned!) is so much better than that manual thing I used to use, haha. It cleans a lot better and since you can change the heads on an electric toothbrush (at least, I can), you can alternate heads for a deeper and more thorough clean. I very much enjoy mine and I most likely will not be switching to a manual toothbrush again after my braces come off. I highly recommend the electric toothbrush! :D

sarah578

#6 Post by sarah578 »

I love the Oral B Triumph. It offers many different head options so you can get one that's gentle. I use the head for sensitive teeth.

njsuburban

#7 Post by njsuburban »

My ortho said they never discourage the use of an electric tooth brush. As long as it's not used as a replacement for flossing. I've had a Sonicare for several years and love it!

loradora

#8 Post by loradora »

I've continued to use my Braun Electric Toothbrush after being braced.

drpotter

#9 Post by drpotter »

My ortho said my Sonicare was better than a manual toothbrush and to go for it, but be gentle at first since my teeth were going to be pretty sore. Just make sure I'm still brushing the way they said to (getting the tops, sides and bottoms of the brackets).

daffodil

#10 Post by daffodil »

I use a Sonicare, which I love and which my dentist recommended. I've heard that some types of electric toothbrushes can cause your gums to recede, though. I would ask your orthodontist what the specific reason is for recommending a manual toothbrush over your electric toothbrush.