colgate ACT?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

emBraced

colgate ACT?

#1 Post by emBraced »

I've noticed that some people like to use Colgate ACT mouthwash...but I've been trying to look for it on-line and don't know which one it is. Does ACT stand for anti-cavity? Is ACT just the same as the Phos-Flur stuff? I'd really like to try it.
Thanks to anyone who replies! :D

Upper ceramics + lower metals 7/26/05

MyTimeToShine

#2 Post by MyTimeToShine »

My ortho recommended a flouride rinse such as ACT. I went to Wal-Mart to go and stock up and saw that Wal-Mart had a brand for half the price of the ACT for $2.12 in both flavors, Mint and Cinnamon. Its the same thing, just a different brand. I saved 2 bucks per bottle...can't beat that!
Metal Upper and Lower Braces: 7/20/05
Estimated Treatment Time: 12-18 months

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Yeah, I noticed as well that the big drugstore chains are now making generic versions of the ACT fluoride rinse. I'm all for a brand that saves dollars per bottle!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

jaws

#4 Post by jaws »

For some reason I can't seem to find Colgate ACT in any of the Shoppers Drugmarts (Canada) that I've been to. Maybe I'll try Wal-Mart...I'm not even sure what ACT is but it seems popular around here!
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

emBraced

#5 Post by emBraced »

Thanks everyone! I ended up getting the ACTx2 in the icy cool mint flavor and I like it a lot. It really feels like it's working...I use it at night and so far my mouth has felt cleaner (but maybe also because I've started to use Colgate Total toothpaste as well). But it's especially noticeable in the morning because I feel like I don't have horrible morning breath anymore either. And plus I like that it comes in the squeeze bottle where you can make sure you're getting the correct amount for every rinse :D

I also realized that I called it Colgate ACT when in fact it isn't Colgate at all--it's Johnson & Johnson.

Upper ceramics + lower metals 7/26/05

SW

#6 Post by SW »

jaws wrote:For some reason I can't seem to find Colgate ACT in any of the Shoppers Drugmarts (Canada) that I've been to. Maybe I'll try Wal-Mart...I'm not even sure what ACT is but it seems popular around here!
http://www.actfluoride.com/act/products_adults_4.html

They market the mint and cinnamon flavors to adults and the bubblegum and grape flavors to children, but it's all the same stuff. :)
STEPHANIE

jaws

#7 Post by jaws »

Thanks so much for the website SW...I have never seen this in our local Shoppers Drugmart, but I'm going to try Wal-Mart tomorrow...I'll let you all know what I find!
Braces are Now Off!
Expanders Top and Bottom

jaws

#8 Post by jaws »

Well, I tried Wal-Mart and I still can't find any Colgate ACT! I live in London, Ontario, Canada...has anyone else found Colgate ACT in Ontario before?

It looks like I might have to order it online!
Braces are Now Off!
Expanders Top and Bottom

SW

#9 Post by SW »

jaws wrote:Well, I tried Wal-Mart and I still can't find any Colgate ACT! I live in London, Ontario, Canada...has anyone else found Colgate ACT in Ontario before?

ACT is made by Johnson & Johnson, but Colgate does make a lot of fluoride rinses, gels and special toothpastes too. Here in the U.S. you can buy the rinses over the counter, but I've never seen the gel and toothpaste on the shelves. (Years ago, I had to get a fluoride gel by prescription.) I wonder if fluoride is one of those products that is regulated differently in Canada than in the U.S.? Kind of like you can get regular Tylenol in the U.S. but Tylenol + Codeine is not available over the counter like it is in Canada...?

A lot of orthos recommend that their patients use Colgate Phos-flur, but it costs a lot more than ACT, that's why so many people buy ACT instead. I don't think the formulas are exactly the same, but considering that the Colgate is about $11.00 and ACT is around $3 to 4, I'm buying the cheap stuff! Here's a link to Colgate Phos-flur if you are interested:

http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/O ... Rinse.cvsp
STEPHANIE

greencapt

#10 Post by greencapt »

jaws wrote:Well, I tried Wal-Mart and I still can't find any Colgate ACT! I live in London, Ontario, Canada...has anyone else found Colgate ACT in Ontario before?

Maybe we can smuggle some ACT up across the border to you! I see a movie opportunity here!

the year was 1922... the place, Ontario... the mission- bust a prohibition flouride-rinse ring... only one group stands in the way...

the Un-rinsables!

jaws

#11 Post by jaws »

Ha ha! You guys are hillarious!

Well, to my dismay I tried to order some Colgate ACT online (at drugstore.com), but they will only ship to the U.S. So, it looks like I will be ACT-less---unless Loch Ness manages to get some fluoride on the underground railroad to Ontario!

I'm using Oral B Fluorinse right now...which I'm assuming is sort of the same thing, but we'll see!
Braces are Now Off!
Expanders Top and Bottom

SW

#12 Post by SW »

jaws wrote:Ha ha! You guys are hillarious!

Well, to my dismay I tried to order some Colgate ACT online (at drugstore.com), but they will only ship to the U.S. So, it looks like I will be ACT-less---unless Loch Ness manages to get some fluoride on the underground railroad to Ontario!

I'm using Oral B Fluorinse right now...which I'm assuming is sort of the same thing, but we'll see!
You would think that if you can get Oral B Fluorinse there, the other companies would want to market their fluoride too, since they market all of the other dental products.... but then again, I've never seen Oral B Fluorinse here, so go figure!

Jaws, drugstore.com does sell to international customers through a partnership with Comerxia. Here's the link to further info. if you are interested:

http://www.drugstore.com/templates/stac ... atid=48001
STEPHANIE

jaws

#13 Post by jaws »

Thanks so much for the link SW!

I tried again to buy the ACT using the link, and here is the message that I received:

"We are sorry, but due to licensing restrictions we are unable to ship this product to your country. Please remove this product from the cart."

So I guess I will remain ACT-less forever :cry: Unless I want to move to the States! :P
Braces are Now Off!
Expanders Top and Bottom

SW

#14 Post by SW »

jaws wrote:Thanks so much for the link SW!

I tried again to buy the ACT using the link, and here is the message that I received:

"We are sorry, but due to licensing restrictions we are unable to ship this product to your country. Please remove this product from the cart."

So I guess I will remain ACT-less forever :cry: Unless I want to move to the States! :P
Well I'll be darned! Licensing restrictions? Oh well. I guess you could always take a road trip to the U.S. to stock up :)
STEPHANIE