Covers for your Braces

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Knucemike

Covers for your Braces

#1 Post by Knucemike »

There has been a few different messages with questions on the Morgan bumpers. I tried them and could never get them to stay on for any length of time. They are a great idea. Maybe its just because of the way my braces are situated. Thye are made of a flexable piece of plastic tubing that has been cut open. It is suppose to fit over the brackets and cover them. I just couldnt get them to stay on.

The product I am using now is somewhat different, it has littleclips that fit over the archwire to keep it on. While this product is not perfect either, it seems to work pretty good for me.I can even sleep with them in. They come two to a pack and one is made specifically for the top and one for the bottom. Take a look and see what you think.

http://www.jawproducts.com/lipprot.

mike

Tin Man

#2 Post by Tin Man »

Does it cover the entire bracket? The main problem I have with my braces in the elastic hooks poking me.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

Knucemike

#3 Post by Knucemike »

I think thats one of the problems with this product. It seems to cover the brackets pretty well, but things like the elastic hooks - it has a hard time grasping and staying on. If all you had were brackets, i think it would be a great product. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tin Man

#4 Post by Tin Man »

I have elastic hooks on damn near all my teeth...guess I've been foiled again (the first time was with those worthless morgan bumpers). I'll have to go back to the loving arms of good 'ole reliable wax.
Mike
Off November 06!

Knucemike

#5 Post by Knucemike »

Maybe I missunderstood your question. It sounds like you were asking about the braces covers I use and not the morgan bumpers. Please let me know. The covers I use do a lot better job of sticking to your braces even with the elastic posts. Sorry if I miss read you question!

Tin Man

#6 Post by Tin Man »

No you answered my question. What I'm looking for is a cover that will cover my brackets and the hooks, since the hooks are the major source of the irritation I get. I was just mentioning that I tried the morgan bumpers first and they were worthless.
Mike
Off November 06!

Wired Mom

braces covers

#7 Post by Wired Mom »

Hi -- I'm new to Archwired and new to braces too. I'm interested in the discussion about braces covers, but maybe my problem is a little different than most. I have a lot of "gum" on the uppers, so my upper teeth are situated low compared to my upper lip. I have damon braces, and the upper brackets are right BELOW my upper lip. They are in the way all the time -- my upper lip rests on top of the shelf of the brackets. To talk, I have to protrude my lips up and over the brackets, and they irritate my lip all the time. WHen I close my mouth, feels like there is a metal grate between my lips. The lip does not cover the brackets. I use wax to form something like a ramp from the upper part of the tooth down over the top of the bracket, and that feels okay, but looks like crap and can't eat like that. Is there anything out there that fits ABOVE the brackets on the teeth that forms like a ramp from the tooth over the top of the brackets? What about a modification that can be made to the brackets? Bonding material on the tooth? ANYTHING??!!

#8 Post by Guest »

Hi Wired Mom. I can't really answer your questions, but wanted you to know that I too have Damon's and when I first got them put on I had to physically pull my top lip over the brackets to close my mouth. That was 4 months ago. It does get easier, although my upper lip still rests on the brackets - really it is the inside of my upper lip about 1/4 inch above the exposed part of my lip (if that makes sense to you). I think I tend to "place" my lower lip up to meet it now.

Good luck finding out how to solve your problem.

Wired Mom

lip

#9 Post by Wired Mom »

Thanks Attagirl2. I never thought about whether to bring the upper lip down or the lower lip up.

martindw

#10 Post by martindw »

I found these online, but have not tried them.

http://www.orthotechnology.com/New_Prod ... _Cover.cfm

bbsadmin

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

DentaKit.com now carries Comfort Covers. They are supposed to stay on more securely than Morgan Bumpers because they "snap into place". In another thread, I remember an ArchWired reader saying that she really liked this product. Here's a link to the product page:

http://www.dentakit.com/cocoforbr.html

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who tries the product. Let me know how it worked for you and if it met your expectations!

DentaKit will also soon carry a lip protector similar to the one that KnuceMike talks about. The one we will carry is very flexible and is supposed to be more comfortable than the others on the market. It will probably be available on the site by mid-September.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Knucemike

#12 Post by Knucemike »

The problem with the morgan bumpers is that - they are really flexable. I think thats why I had trouble with them staying on the brackets.

I sure hope the ones you will have will work because i think the idea behind them is excellent. Its getting them to stay put - especially with all the different bracket arrangments that someone can have.

Hope they work out!
Braces on 11/03 - Hopefully off 5/06 -Now changed to 4/07

bracefaceat34

#13 Post by bracefaceat34 »

Tin Man wrote:I have elastic hooks on damn near all my teeth...guess I've been foiled again (the first time was with those worthless morgan bumpers). I'll have to go back to the loving arms of good 'ole reliable wax.
WTH??? Please do not tell me that you have had your braces on for almost a year and they still bother you?
Good God - I thought I was supposed to get used to this after a little bit. I am in MISERY!!!!!! :ouch:

bbsadmin

#14 Post by bbsadmin »

Knucemike wrote:The problem with the morgan bumpers is that - they are really flexable. I think thats why I had trouble with them staying on the brackets.

I sure hope the ones you will have will work because i think the idea behind them is excellent. Its getting them to stay put - especially with all the different bracket arrangments that someone can have.

Hope they work out!
Since I don't have my braces on anymore, I can't test them on myself, waaah! I hope they perform better for people than the Morgan Bumpers have been reported to. The Comfort Covers are made out of a slightly stiffer material than the Morgan Bumpers, and they have a slightly different ridge. Perhaps the extra stiffness will help them stay on better. As they say here in cyberspace, "Your mileage may vary."
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

OneBluCrayon

#15 Post by OneBluCrayon »

Im wondering about the feedback on these "ComforCovers" as well. I have some of the morgan bumpers and I also had a hard time getting them to stay put. When your teeth are straighter they stay on better, but in the begining, when your teeth are still all over the place, i found it hard to get the bumper to stay on a couple of teeth that were still just a lil higher than others....

Also, I need to find something good for sleeping. I used the morgans at night, thought they tell ya not to, because the whole reason i got them in the first place is because of this:

When i sleep i tend to suction my mouth and my cheeks and lips get stuck in between the braces and cause a great deal of pain when i wake up- having to "peel" my lips away from the braces really su cks. Ive been in braces for about 9 months and its gotten a lil better, but the "vaccuum effect" is still there.

Any other suggestions for this problem :?: :?:
If you're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!
Banded: Dec 24, 2004