A Waterpik Newbie with a Question

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

deny_zoo29

A Waterpik Newbie with a Question

#1 Post by deny_zoo29 »

I got a cordless waterpik about 4 weeks ago, at about the same time I officially decided to get braces (they'll be put on May 17). The plan was to try to figure out how to use it properly before I got the braces on. I've only used it a few times.

My question is....every time I use it, I spray water all over the bathroom (the mirror, the sink, my face, etc.) :oops: Am I doing something wrong or is that what it's supposed to do and I just need more practice?
Ceramic Uppers ON ~ 17 May 05
Ceramic Lowers ON ~ 12 July 05

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Deny. I have a Shower Floss, but acts on the same principle. What I found was, if I close my mouth over the "pick" my mouth will fill with water. At that point, open your mouth just enough to let the water fall into the sink - not so much that it sprays everywhere. Once you get the hang of this, work to pull the pick a little bit away from your teeth, so the force can increase.

On a side note: I was just at the dentist's office for a cleaning on Friday. I showed the hygenist that I was using the Shower Floss. She (having been a periodontal assistant for many years) told me to never use high pressure when using an oral irrigator. If there are settings of 1 to 10 she said to use a 5. She said one could actually force food under the gum causing the attaching gum tissue (forgot the name) to become infected).

She also told me that an oral irrigator will never replace Dental Floss because plaque is a sticky substance and must be scraped from the teeth - hence the need to brush, floss and get regular cleanings. (I thought my teeth were super clean when I got there, but she spent as much time scraping this time as she did before braces!)

Well, I know this is more than you asked for, but I thought it important information to share.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

glowstix

#3 Post by glowstix »

be prepared to get a new waterpik every 2-3 months since the motor dies no matter what you do. good concept, but product design needed a bit more work. the manufacturers are pretty good about getting the new unit out to you but it gets tiresome after a while having to keep paying for shipping then having to wait while the new unit comes..probably better off without it. i've got like 3-4 months left in braces so i guess i have one more to go.. :roll:

bracefaceat34

#4 Post by bracefaceat34 »

glowstix wrote:be prepared to get a new waterpik every 2-3 months since the motor dies no matter what you do. good concept, but product design needed a bit more work. the manufacturers are pretty good about getting the new unit out to you but it gets tiresome after a while having to keep paying for shipping then having to wait while the new unit comes..probably better off without it. i've got like 3-4 months left in braces so i guess i have one more to go.. :roll:
My waterpik comes with a 2 year warrantee...wouldn't the motor dying be covered under the mfg warrantee? Just thinking they should be paying for any shipping charges on that. If this is going to be the case, I will return mine and have my hubby spray my head down with the hose at night...at the rate I am going with the water all over the bathroom, the result should be just about the same anyway and definitely cheaper/less stress, etc.!!!!

decisionmade

#5 Post by decisionmade »

I'm not happy with mine at all and regret purchasing it..Seems to me its obvious that the hand held part should have the on/off switch on it and not the water unit itself!...the water pik will be in my mouth with my right handed spraying all this water and I have to manage to keep the water from squirting all over the bathroom whle I rummage around for the on/off switch with myleft hand (and i'm right handed I might add)on the unit containing the water......ugh! the frustration!
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

bracefaceat34

#6 Post by bracefaceat34 »

Yeah, same for me and I agree that there should be an on/off switch on the handle. Mine has a pause button but I will have to get used to that...lots of stuff going on at once with that thing!!!