Sonicare - 2 minute timer enough?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jodster

#1 Post by Jodster »

I have read about your cleaning habits, and mine aren't near as long, but I go through two cycles to clean my teeth...
^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^

Ceramic Uppers 9/6/05; metal lowers 11/8/05
4 bicuspids removed 10/26/05

33 y.o. male whose parents couldn't afford braces as a teen---and YES, I TOO AM OBSESSED!!

Dodger(UK)

#2 Post by Dodger(UK) »

When I had braces, I think I used it for more than 2 mins, probably 4 was about right. Since my braces were removed, the 2mins is about enough. It beeps 4 times, 1 for each quadrant, and then gives a final beep to let you finish everything off, if you so wish.

It a device which get's better with time though ;) Wouldn't be without it now.

TuZZi

#3 Post by TuZZi »

I lose count how many times my Oral-B slows down and speeds up again.... but on average it takes me 12 minutes or more to brush. That's about 2.5 minutes at least per quadrant, and another 2 on my upper palate bar and tongue ring.

Crappy thing is.... I have to charge my toothbrush after only 3 days of use :(
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

TuZZi

#4 Post by TuZZi »

I'd love to be able to plug in my brush after every use... but my bathroom doesn't have anywhere for me to plug it in. The place I usually charge the toothbrush is the kitchen, but it gets in the way when it's in there.... so I only charge it up overnight (and the next day) when it needs it.

I also have a Crest SpinBrush Pro, and a Colgate Motion for the times I can't use my Oral-B. Sometimes I even prefer the SpinBrush over the Oral-B... but the Oral-B is MUCH quieter and I like using a slower speed.

Does anyone else use a Colgate Motion brush? I've only used it a couple times, and it might go away after a while, but the brush kind of smelled like something was burning while I was using it. It was almost enough to make me gag a couple times. Has anyone else run into that?
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

CelestialVoices

#5 Post by CelestialVoices »

I did the 4 cycles of my Sonicare the other night, and my teeth/braces definitely felt super clean, and last night I just did one 2 minute cycle...it was late and I was tired so I admit I slacked a bit, but I think I'm going to take Lucy's advice and do the 4 cycles. :)

Bianca

#6 Post by Bianca »

Holy Moses!!!

I couldn't imagine spending that much time with my sonicare.

In the evening I use a waterpik, then I floss, then I waterpik again, then I use my sonicare for one two minute cycle (with prescription fluoride toothpaste) and then I am done.

In the morning I use a waterpik, and brush with the sonicare for one cycle using regular toothpaste.

And during the day I try to brush after every meal, first doing a couple rinses with water and then just a quick brush with a regular toothbrush and regular toothpaste, I probably brush for 1-2 minutes.

And my mouth feels peachy! :)

I really think the waterpik really really helps with the cleaning process, it gets most of the junk out of my braces, and out from between my teeth, so then I am not trying to brush all the food out. By the time I brush in the evening I have already removed almost all the food from my teeth between waterpik-ing and flossing.

It's a two year process.......

JumpTheDitch

#7 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I'm told battery 'memory' is a thing of the past these days. I use the Braun Oral-B 'Professional Care - Timer'. The instructions actually suggested you keep the toothbrush on the charging dock whenever it's not in use, stating it would not adversly affect the battery life. So far so good! I probably go through about 3-4 cycles for each brussing session, followed by 10 mins or so of flossing. Sadly waterpik's don't really seem to be available in Australia.