Trouble FLOSSING

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

becky1

Trouble FLOSSING

#1 Post by becky1 »

Does anyone else have a problem flossing? My teeth are so close together it actually will not allow the floss in between them. So therefore I am not able to floss my teeth. And even if I force the floss in between it always gets stuck or shreds to pieces.......

becky1

Flossing

#2 Post by becky1 »

Thanks for the advice I am just going to keep trying to find a floss that will work for me. Hopefully things will get better.

butterfly

Re: Trouble FLOSSING

#3 Post by butterfly »

becky1 wrote:My teeth are so close together it actually will not allow the floss in between them.
This might change in a few days. My molars were also too tight to floss but after a few days they moved apart! If I floss now there is basically no resistance anymore because my arch is apparantly widening.
So therefore I am not able to floss my teeth. And even if I force the floss in between it always gets stuck or shreds to pieces.......
Do you have wire ligs instead of rubber bands? I have them and they cause the shredding! It's not the teeth. I bought a different kind of floss (Oral B) and this one doens't shred so easily.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

R-A-M-O-N-E-S

#4 Post by R-A-M-O-N-E-S »

Try the water pik super flosser
so far this is what works for me
Braced Sept-27-05

hannah164

#5 Post by hannah164 »

Right now I'm using a floss threader and normal floss but I'm finding that the floss shreds! :? Any suggestions for different kinds of floss! I'm also having a really hard time flossing my bottom teeth because they are so tight and hurt so bad!

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

Try the Glide floss. It is virtually shred-proof. If you like it, you can use it with a plastic threader needle, or you can buy their Glide Threader Floss, which is individually packaged lengths of floss with a stiff threader end (you don't need the plastic needle).

SuperFloss and Thornton 3-in-1 Floss are good, but if you have tight spaces between the teeth, it is difficult to get that spongy filament between the teeth. When my spaces were really tight I used the Glide floss, and later on after they moved I preferred something like SuperFloss.

Waterpik-type devices are good, but amost all dentists agree that they do not take the place of regular flossing.

Anyway, I agree that flossing with braces is not easy and can be very frustrating. After you have your braces for a while you get good/faster at doing it, and it isn't as much of an issue anymore. But at first it is quite daunting. I remember those days very well.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

mia_cro

#7 Post by mia_cro »

I really find it impossible to floss!
Before beeing braced,the Johnson waxed "Reach" floss tape always threaded and had to push it down really hard to go all the way to the gum line.
But how can you do that now when the wire blocks you half way trough???
It's only possible with those flossers,right?The plastic needle thing with a string of floss on top?
I tried with the interdental brushes and no sucess.The smallest ones I could get 0,4mm can't go between my teeth....I just poked myself with the wire... But,they are at least useful at work for cleaning food debris stuck between brackets.
Here's an interesting quote from some dentist I found:

"Floss once daily, preferably before brushing. Flossing breaks up the film of bacteria between the teeth in areas a toothbrush cannot reach. It is important to then brush the teeth and rinse between the teeth to remove the film of bacteria that the flossing has dislodged. Without brushing or rinsing after flossing, the bacteria can reattach to the teeth. "

How many of you do it before brushing????

kirst1583

#8 Post by kirst1583 »

hmm. That is interesting. I've always done it after brushing, but maybe I need to change that!
About the floss hitting the wire:
If you don't have a threader (one of the needle things) you can still just use regular floss. I use my fingers to thread it under the wire for each tooth and then floss as normal. I guess it all depends on your tooth position though, but I've never had any problems doing this.

kirst1583

#9 Post by kirst1583 »

KK - you made me think of another question for you!
I bought disclosing tablets a while ago and told my nephew he could use one 1st. After seeing the colour of his mouth I got concerned about the ceramic braces and chickened out.
So basically, when you brush does all the red go away?
Thanks! Probably a silly question but I just had to ask :wink:

kirst1583

#10 Post by kirst1583 »

Ah ok .. thanks for that. Now it makes a lot more sense. Just goes to show that 9 year old boys are terrible when it comes to oral hygiene. lol
Thanks again - greatly appreciated.
Kirst :D