WHICH waterpik?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

camille4824

#1 Post by camille4824 »

I have the cordless, rechargable waterpik..........
Had it for quite some time now and its still working great....cost me $24, well worth it! I definetly have gotten my monies worth, and then some.

Also love it because it takes up much less space in the bathroom than the larger ones....which is another plus since the whole counter is getting taken up with all my "tools"!
Pendulum worn 10/12/04 until 4/19/05
Braced on top 1/19/05
Bottom braced 4/19/05
Damon 3 brackets

Bluemoonjo

#2 Post by Bluemoonjo »

Hi

Amazon has a code for $10 off $49 .... so for $39 ish you can get a waterpik and some extra tips (and free shipping since your order is over $25) .... Code is in the item listing think its waterpik if I remember right.

I think I'm going to get "WaterPik WP-65 Personal Dental Water Jet", "WaterPik TJR-3 Replacement Jet Tips and Tongue Cleaner (Color may vary) ", and "WaterPik BRP-2 Pik Pocket Replacement Jet Tips" Comes to $41.39 shipped
LOL Its been in my shopping cart for two days.

I'm hoping for braces soon. Dentists says I can get them, but we'll talk in more detail after I get the other work needed done so my mouth is healthy.

Guess I should post an intro now huh :)
Mary

Cissa

#3 Post by Cissa »

I bought the nice little cheapo Power Flosser for $6.99 at Walgreen's. It does a great job so far (I've only had it 2 days) but it does make my lips feel all weird and vibraty after I use it.

IndyBraceFace

#4 Post by IndyBraceFace »

*bump*

I've heard such good things about these WaterPiks. What is the difference between the different models (e.g., the entire system versus the "flosser")?

Anticipator

#5 Post by Anticipator »

Our cordless model died this week. It isn't holding a charge. Just bought the Professional model today. Same clean feeling, less reservoir refills, bulkier appliance.
IndyBraceFace wrote:*bump*

I've heard such good things about these WaterPiks. What is the difference between the different models (e.g., the entire system versus the "flosser")?
The waterpik actually shoots a stream of high pressure water out, the flosser (which we also purchased today) is simply a vibrating plastic tip.

I feel much cleaner after the waterpik, the flosser hasn't impressed me much. Hopefully my dentist and orthodontist will think more of it than me.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Anticipator

#6 Post by Anticipator »

Meryaten wrote:Well, my recent adventure with crud-under-the-band spurred me to action, so I've order the Waterpik - the cordless rechargeable one. We'll see how I get on with it. I think, especially in the light of Anticipator's post, I will treat its batteries the same as I do my Sonicare - that is to say always dissipate charge entirely and always recharge fully.

Anyway, I chose the cordless rechargeable simply because our bathroom is too damn small and overcrowded already, without me adding one of the bigger models.
Hopefully you'll have better luck with yours than we did with ours. It's definitely nice to keep an outlet free and have more counterspace.

If the reservoir hadn't needed on average three refills per use I probably would have just purchased another cordless despite the first one going belly up.

Instructions didn't mention anything about ni-cad memory warnings. We only recharged it when dead too. Thing lasted less than a month.:evil:

Whatever happens though, you'll definitely appreciate the cleaner feeling that results with using one of their products. Just hold onto the receipt. :P
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Granola

#7 Post by Granola »

I've been searching for an oral irrigator and reading reviews of Waterpiks, Panasonics, etc. I haven't been able to find any that have great reviews, so haven't purchased one yet. One thing I do keep reading in reviews is that people who used an oral irrigator after their nightly cleaning ritual of brushing and flossing were shocked at the food that remained behind.

I remember having a Waterpik when I had braces 25 years ago, and it lasted forever. It doesn't sound like that kind of longevity is true anymore for that brand, but I would love to have one of the rechargeable ones.

I hope people keep posting to this thread, especially if someone has had good luck with a brand not breaking.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

mia_cro

#8 Post by mia_cro »

I'm using Oral B 8500 Oxyjet. It's nozzle is different from standard waterpicks, and it has 2 modes (streams). I'm thrilled with it!
After I brush my teeth really really carefully,I'm sure that I got all the food out.
But what a shock when I turn this thing on!!!! Food debris just keeps falling down the sink... And that was happening even before I got the braces!

Since I have really crowded teeth and gum problems, this product was suggested by my periodontologist. Bleedings stopped,gums are pink (no longer red)...
I truly don't know how can ppl wearing braces have good oral hygene without this helpful device!
Here's the link to a similar model available in US:

http://www.oralb.com/products/product.a ... pid=oxyjet

SamanthaClavier

#9 Post by SamanthaClavier »

I got the Interplak(conair makes it)i really like it EXCEPT i have to refill it 1-2 more times :(,and the button you push to keep it from spraying for whatever reason would be better if it didnt have to be held down (i am thinking push ,turn off then push turn on.i donno if its defective or thats how its made..i should call LOL

August1

#10 Post by August1 »

I just got an Interplak too, and I love it. I got this one, which is cordless and rechargable. I got it at Target for about $20.

I also have to refill it a couple times to clean my whole mouth, but it's a minor inconvenience at most. I must have a different model than Samantha because mine stays on without having to hold the button down.

phanta

#11 Post by phanta »

I've tried the Personal and Handheld waterpiks and for the past 5 years I've been using ONLY Professional version.

I don't like that the handheld one won't let you clean the water container, I always imagine colonies of bacteria growing in it (if it doesn't dry completely and it never did cause the opening is very small).

Personal version gets clogged if I use salt and/or baking soda in my water and I like to do that. Professional has been so far the only one to withstand that.

I replaced the Professional one 1.5 years ago for hygenic reasons (still think of colonies building themselves nice houses in the hose :) ) and unfortunately I had to return 2, and finally the 3rd one worked fine. The first 2 were poorly made and by that I mean where you attach the tip, it wouldn't sit tightly and squirted water out of the handle.

That was unpleasant but otherwise its a great product. Highly recommended!

JumpTheDitch

#12 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Thanks for the tip, Lucyloop, I've been looking for waterpik type do-dad over in Aus too. I'm not too sure how the Republic of Singapore made it into the list of Aussie retailers though!

The US seems to have the monopoly on all the cool dental toys though, no floss threaders/waterpiks located here so far! :(

bbsadmin

#13 Post by bbsadmin »

There are two other brands that people like:

QuickPik and ShowerPik by OralBreeze.com

and the Hydrofloss (which is supposed to magnetize the water and work better in that respect for removing plaque).

You may want to check them both out, as well.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

LondonLingual

Cordless Waterpik

#14 Post by LondonLingual »

Just to say I have the cordless waterpik (It cost £19.99 from Argos Extra) and I think it is wicked.

No problems with filling it up. To be honest for a quick rinse round one fill is enough and even when I want to spend longer using it filling it up takes all of five seconds.

Not really sure why it had such bad press on here, i don't knonw about Aus and the US but in the UK if a product breaks in the first year you just take it back and they give you another one, easy!

I almost considered spending a fortune on the oral-b water jet (£70) after reading bad reviews online for the cordless one but I am glad I didn't.

London lad... Linguals (http://www.ormco.com/products/promotions/PDF/stb.pdf) on top and ceramics (http://www.gacmystique.com/) on bottom! UPDATE: now have ceramics on top too after gave up on linguals 18 months in!!!

LondonLingual

Cordless Waterpik

#15 Post by LondonLingual »

London lad... Linguals (http://www.ormco.com/products/promotions/PDF/stb.pdf) on top and ceramics (http://www.gacmystique.com/) on bottom! UPDATE: now have ceramics on top too after gave up on linguals 18 months in!!!