sooo....

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

newbie82

sooo....

#1 Post by newbie82 »

Hi all
Been reading all the "do-dads" that you all use and well I am confused! First of all what is a waterpik and is it necessary to have one? I think I clean my braces pretty well, my teeth look much cleaner since I first got them I think from purchasing an electric toothbrush ( don't think I’ll EVER go back to a regular brush!). My routine is brush morning and night with electric toothbrush, I admittedly don't always brush after lunch usually on my days off (I work full time), I floss every second night and use mouthwash. Which everyone is always talking about which one is best, why is alcohol avoided when choosing mouthwashes, mine has alcohol in it and doesn't bother me but is it bad for braces?

Well I think that's it, any advice is much appreciated!

newbie82

#2 Post by newbie82 »

Thanks for the advice guys!

I am due for my 6 months regular dentist check up in about June so will see what I am told then. In the meantime I will try and up my routine more by flossing EVERY day (as painful as it is!) and trying the salt water rinse. Will let you know how I go with dentist!

Thanks again!

cdwright

and

#3 Post by cdwright »

a waterpik is great for the end as well. you can mix up some mouthwash and water, and spray it around your teeth.
Oh sure, I see Bart gets to have a gun. - Homer Simpson.

swellen

#4 Post by swellen »

Waterpik ... I don't have one ... they sound great, but aren't sold in New Zealand or Australia.
Waterpik brand is not sold but you can buy a Braun Oxyjet, which is essentially the same thing. Unfortunately they no longer sell them on their own, so you have to buy it as part of a set with the super-expensive, Rolls-Royce style Braun toothbrush. They usually sell them at the Shaver Shop.

My dentist recommended (for regular, unbraced people, I mean) flossing daily and using the Oxyjet once or twice a week for gum stimulation. Also he thinks that if people really refuse to floss, using the Oxyjet is far better than doing nothing at all.

Having said that, I don't have one because they're way too pricey!

JumpTheDitch

#5 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Oh no KK! Whenever I read posts from everyone from the UK and and USA waxing lyrical about their waterpiks, and I was overcome with pangs of jealousy, I'd think, "it's ok, KK hasn't got one either, not everyone uses them". Now you've gone and joined the dark side!

We really should email the Waterpik people and get them onto the Antipodean market. It's not like we're all grots who don't brush out teeth, we're into dental hygiene too! :twisted:

So they're really that good, huh?

JumpTheDitch

#6 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Lol. Thanks KK, that was the ugly green-eyed monster within talking! I agree, we need to get waterpiks made available here in the Anitpodes too. I wonder why they're not (other than the impractically sized oxyjet (which I also dismissed as too cumbersome and expensive). How cr*p is it that you can only get it as a package with a whiz-bang toothbrush?).

My dentist is a lovely guy from Scotland, I think I'll bring it up with him. He may have more lobbying power than us non-medical types :thumbsup:. Unfortunately I don't think my ortho would have either the time to listen, nor sufficient interest to do anything (that makes him sound terrible, he's not that bad, just very busy and uncommunicative).

In the meantime enjoy your treasured Waterpik! :thumbsup:

kirst1583

#7 Post by kirst1583 »

I agree with you JumpTheDitch. I'm so jealous! I hear all these great things about waterpiks but can't get my hands on one.
Mind you, it would have definitely been the kind of thing I wanted for when I had braces - but I imagine it would still be useful now anyway.

swellen

#8 Post by swellen »

I hear all these great things about waterpiks but can't get my hands on one.
You could probably buy a cordless/travel one on eBay or elsewhere online. Then you wouldn't have to worry about getting an adapter; just use batteries.

jaxxie118

#9 Post by jaxxie118 »

I saw today that Waterpiks are sold at Wal-Mart. I assume there are only Wal-Marts in the United States though, but I don't know for sure. Their website is http://www.walmart.com for anyone who's interested. I can't wait to get mine!! lol :D
Metal uppers & lowers + 1 tooth pulled
Estimated treatment time: 18 months

kirst1583

#10 Post by kirst1583 »

You could probably buy a cordless/travel one on eBay or elsewhere online. Then you wouldn't have to worry about getting an adapter; just use batteries.
Yeah that's true. I did think of ebay but the whole adapter thing put me off. If it was cordless though it wouldn't be an issue.

kirst1583

#11 Post by kirst1583 »

Why don't we turn this thread ... or maybe begin a new one ... with web address/email adresses for some of the large companies that supply the cheaper and smaller waterpik machines ... and then anyone Kiwi or Aussie can support this lobbying, by emailing and suggesting they offer this product in these countries ... does anyone think this is an ok idea ... or just a Kiwi going off coz she's had too much water massaging between her teeth and cleaning her gums etc :oops: ... sorry ... that was totally unnecessary ... :oops:

What do you think? :banana:
LMAO - Sounds like a fantastic idea! If you get it all going i'll definitely email them...
Not sure how much impact we'll have but no harm in trying!

swellen

#12 Post by swellen »

I did think of ebay but the whole adapter thing put me off. If it was cordless though it wouldn't be an issue.
Krist1583 don't worry about the adaptor. I got mine from a local electrical shop for under $10 ... that was a very minor issue ... and it's a good adaptor that can be used for other types of plugs.
And using an adaptor is probably better than going through lots of batteries (which will go to landfill, unless you get rechargeable ones). There are often waterpiks on sale on eBay. New ones I mean - I wouldn't want to buy a used one! :yuck:

Gigabite

#13 Post by Gigabite »

I couldn't find any Waterpiks here in Oz, either (even though there's supposed to be a company that imports them here).

I ended up buying a National "Doltz" Jet Washer when I was in Japan earlier this year.

http://ctlg.national.jp/product/image.d ... 11-W&ghj=2

I have to use a step-down converter because the voltage is different but was well worth the extra cash (over A$100... eek!). I can't live without it now!

Just in case anyone is planning a trip to Tokyo, you can buy them in big electrical stores like Bic Camera or Yodobashi.
Damon 3 braces

ironyengine

#14 Post by ironyengine »

If power is the only issue in terms of getting the WaterPik in AU, has anyone considered the faucet-attached variety? I bought one from a website right after getting my braces on and it's been great, runs completely on the pressure coming from the faucet, no batteries or anything. It's fairly light too, so shipping charges shouldn't be too much either.

At the risk of sounding like an ad / spambot I won't mention the site where I got mine, but it should be easily found by doing a Google search... that's how I found it anyway.

Just a thought for the WaterPik-disabled...

swellen

#15 Post by swellen »

If power is the only issue in terms of getting the WaterPik in AU, has anyone considered the faucet-attached variety?
I looked into those but from the pictures it seems that our taps/faucets are a different size and shape so I don't think they'd fit.