Underestimated waterpik

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaswi

Underestimated waterpik

#1 Post by jaswi »

So I broke down and bought a waterpik ultra because of you folk who swear by them. I was very sceptical all the same. That is, until I tried it. I really didn't think it would have near as much pressure as it does, highest I could stand was level 2 pressure, and even that was uncomfortable at some places. Its really crazy the amount of crud it blows away, and how you can feel it going between your teeth and hitting your tongue(a miracle with my crowding). Anyhow, just thought I'd post my experience.

jzaboo

#2 Post by jzaboo »

I just bought yesterday, and I'm a convert. I just got my braces Thursday, and teeth I could floss with no problem were already too tight to get floss through (and that braces floss is junk, anyway). Now I'm a little bolder with my food choices, at least when I'm home.

Anticipator

#3 Post by Anticipator »

The waterpik has been one of the biggest assets to keeping my braces clean and my gums healthy.

Everytime I think my teeth are clean I run the waterpik and discover there was debris that would've been causing irritation, buildup, badbreath, or cavities.

I'm extremely happy that I have one in my orthodontic arsenal.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

not2worry39212

#4 Post by not2worry39212 »

I bought one of those rechargeable water picks and I love it!.

DichCa

#5 Post by DichCa »

hmm maybe i should look into it as welll. Since i got braces i never really had any problems and thought i was pretty good with brushing everything away....so i guess i'm wrong huh

Will be on my to buy list :)
-Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent-

Smiley77

#6 Post by Smiley77 »

Where in Australia (specifically WA) can I buy a waterpik?

They sound like just the thing I need!

vegetara

#7 Post by vegetara »

After reading so many good things about these products, I did some research and the Waterpik Ultra looks like a good choice. It has an orthodontic attachment and everything.

I do, however, have a stupid question..

Does the waterpik replace flossing?

rmwolf83

#8 Post by rmwolf83 »

I find it incredible that even after I think I've so thoroughly cleaned my teeth that the Waterpik can still find debris that I've missed. I love my Waterpik! Aside from my Oral-B Triumph Professional 9000 toothbrush, it's one of the best investments I've made!

cassie

#9 Post by cassie »

Wow, I never thought about a waterpik but you guys have convinced me! Today a woman at work today recommended it when she saw me in the restroom picking pieces of my co-workers birthday cake out of my brackets.

What brand exactly do you guys have? Looking online, Target does not have the Waterpik brand, but they have the:

Conair Deluxe Dental Water Jet - $40
InterPlak Dental Water Jet WJ7 - $30
Conair Rechargeable Portable Water Jet - $20

Anyone know anything about these?

And do the rechargable handheld ones do as well as the big sink-top ones?

Iceolated

#10 Post by Iceolated »

I have a rechargable water pik. The only disadvantage I find is you are limited to two pressure settings. These are obtained through the use of either the low-pressure nozzle or the high-pressure nozzle.

I have not been able to use the high-pressure nozzle. The intesity of the stream hurts my gums. During my initial use I managed to hit my tonsils with the spray while trying to reach under my wire. My tonsils started to bleed for about 5 minutes.

With the low-pressure nozzle it does a good job at getting debris out from in between the ligatures and compression spring.

And because it is rechargable I can take it with me and use it for about a week without placing it on the base. For my frequent travels that makes it a lot easier to transport than the large sinktop models.

Cheers,

Ice.

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

swellen

#11 Post by swellen »

Has anyone had any trouble with their Waterpik? I've been thinking about getting one online (since we can't buy them here) but I've seen literally dozens of very very negative reviews - predominantly, people saying that it used to be a good product but now it's crap and breaks down all the time. Quite a few people said they'd had to have it replaced three times in the last couple of months. Also, many many people complained about the cordless type, saying that it stopped holding a charge after about two months. Has anyone else had these kinds of experiences?

Brace Face

#12 Post by Brace Face »

kk - what is the brand of your Water Pik from the UK?

turrrtlelove22

#13 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

I am very happy to say that I have purchased a WaterPik Ultra...yay me!!! I love it already!!! It's the perfect size and has gret storage. I do have to say that I didn't think that it would make noise...LOL. It is very powerful...level 2 is about all I can take as someone stated on here. And even then sometimes it's a little strong. I'm mean who could handle a 10? What on earth could you possibly be doing or had done to need that much pressure!!!???

Oh, btw...it's funny to squirt the cats with...lol
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

edinburger

#14 Post by edinburger »

I'm interested in getting a Waterpik but they sound powerful and I'm concerned about the risk of blasting away the bonding for my brackets. Has anyone found this to be a problem? Is this simply something I shouldn't worry about as the bonding will be strong enough? Thanks!

vgmessenger

#15 Post by vgmessenger »

I bought a Conair InterPlak the generic brand of the WaterPik two days after I got my braces. I love it and even take it with me when i go out of town. My only con would be that the water tank needs to be a bit bigger, but it comes with all sorts of neat attachments and has amazing pressure. It is easy to travel with and it rang in at a low price of $30.00.

Vic