Not all floss threaders are created equal

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

JumpTheDitch

#16 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I would have been offended too, Meryaten, but I don't image it was intentional. Please don't leave us! I too have noticed your kind a supportive posts around here :-9

Back to the issue at hand, I keep hearing about these "floss threaders" but I can't seem to find any of these fantastic sounding do-dads here in Australia. I'm not a big fan of "superfloss" cos I don't like the floss bit; it's too thick and makes my teeth and gums cry. I also found many were 'duff' at the stiff end. For the record, I use Colgate Tartar Control Dental Ribbon, which is much thinner and gentler :thumbsup:.
But anything that'd help cut down the 10-15 mins a day it takes me to floss would be a life saver!

Here's some scary food-for-thought:

That's over an hour a week; FOUR to SEVEN hours a month, and a whopping SIXTY to NINETY-ONE hours a year. That's two and a half to nearly four days a year, on flossing alone!!! :shock:

Brushing after every meal and every snack as I'm sure we all do every day; I wonder how much time we spend brushing our teeth in a year... :-} :-*

kirst1583

#17 Post by kirst1583 »

I've never seen floss threaders here either. Maybe try the chemist if you haven't already.
I'm happy with using my regular floss (oral B essential - waxed and mint flavoured). It only takes me about 5 mins and I just floss at night.. so it seems to be working well for me.
I also agree about the super floss. Bought it once and after my 1st attempt I couldn't bare to use it.. the thick part made me feel like I was using sand paper. lol

merrily

#18 Post by merrily »

I haven't ever used threader floss because I get lots of food stuck between my teeth that no amount of brushing will get out. So I imagine that by the time I was through with half my mouth, I would feel like I was pulling dirty floss through my teeth. :yuck: I think I read somewhere that the threader floss costs about US$6 for 30 pieces. That's quite expensive.

I'm with Meryaten--I prefer the plastic threader needles. I use a fresh new piece of floss for every quadrant of my mouth. It takes no more than 10 minutes. :wink:

cdwright

hey

#19 Post by cdwright »

Meryaten wrote:I'm sorry Lynn.

But I consider accusations of not brushing my teeth to be highly insulting

I care enough about my teeth to shell out the cost of braces - I'm not going to clean them?? Oh and I'm going to struggle with flossing tight, braced teeth, but not bother to brush first??

To suggest I do not brush was quite uncalled for, especially when I only posted in the first place (including taking and uploading the threaders pic) in the spirit of trying to help people.

I've been ragged on about British dental hygeine since I stepped foot in this country - it gets OLD. This is the ONE place I thought I was safe from such stupidity.
One that I hope helps you. The straighter your teeth get, the easier they are to clean. I was going to throw my dentist a beating if he told me I needed to floss more often one more time before my braces. I flossed every darn day.
After having my braces on for about six months, my hygenist tells me I am doing a super job and it just kept better.

Relax, once your teeth get aligned, they will tell you your hygenie is tip top as well.

Good luck!!!
Oh sure, I see Bart gets to have a gun. - Homer Simpson.