Best mouthwash..

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

*Denise*

#16 Post by *Denise* »

I am going to buy some Act or Biotene tomorrow. :D

Granola

#17 Post by Granola »

I use different mouthwashes for different purposes.

I only like to use a fluoride-containing product once per day (as advised by my dentist) so I use ACT after my morning cleaning routine, then don't eat or drink for 30 minutes afterwords.

The rest of the time I use Listerine (I purposely do not buy the kind with fluoride), because I don't floss every single time that I brush my teeth, of course, and rinsing vigorously with Listerine helps remove soft plaque off of the teeth (per my hygienist).

As an aside, I recently bought a bottle of the new Listerine vanilla-mint flavor. It was weird at first, but I ended up kind of liking it! It didn't burn as much as the flavor that I have now.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

mindwaves

#18 Post by mindwaves »

I hate that Colgate Pro Health thing because it leaves the stuff on your teeth, braces or not. I just use Listerine exclusively now.

babymetalmouth

#19 Post by babymetalmouth »

I use some stuff called denta mint with flouride.. Its 50p a bottle, and my mum wont buy me it becuase Im basically using a bottle a week or so.

I use it probs 3 times a day? I dont care if its not expencive, it does the job, and I floss every day now.. sometimes twice if i havent got anything to do, sometimes i just sit on my sofa with my toothbrush and just brush em or the sake of it... It cant hurt?

I used to NEVER brush my teeth so I think brushing 5 times a day and flossing everyday and using flouride mouthwash is a big chnage! And im happy with my routite, I really need to start using salt water though, although Im petrified Im gonna chuck up like I did the first time.,.. :cry:
Sorry for typos, I BLAME MSN!

mindwaves

#20 Post by mindwaves »

On a kind of off-topic note, are you supposed to rinse after using mouthwash?

Iceolated

#21 Post by Iceolated »

A lot of people don't like Listerine beacuse of it's burn...that's the 26% alcohol content. The original version is absolutely awful.

I only started using Listerine when they came out with the cool burst and fresh mint type flavors. At the moment I am using the Citrus flavored rinse in the morning and at lunch.

In the evening last thing before bed, I use the new ACT restoring mouthwash - supposed to strengthen weak spots.

I have used Crest Pro-Health and not had the clumping problem that others describe. Perhaps a different formula in other countries?

Also, I don't know of any Listerines in the U.S. that contain flouride. My Citrus doesn't, neither does the original. What is the name of the flouride containing Listerine - anyone found it in the U.S.?

Cheers,

Ice

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

Kriz

#22 Post by Kriz »

I use the GREEN Crest Prohealth mouthwash. The GREEN one doesnt leave those little specks on your teeth like the original blue one did. I think I will try ACT next time though, because I heard someone way it was cinnamon. I love cinnamon :)

Kriz

Iceolated

#23 Post by Iceolated »

Karen,

Thanks for the link. Interestingly enought the listerine version on your links is not shown on the U.S. site at http://www.pfizerch.com/

Must not be available in the U.S. yet.

Cheers,

Ice.

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

OrthoTech

#24 Post by OrthoTech »

I recommend ACT, or any fluoride containing non-alcohol mouthwash. I don't like alcohol in mouthwashes for a couple of reasons. Number one, I don't always know who the recovering alcoholics are and it's a bad idea for them to be rinsing with mouthwashes that can have 25% or more alcohol in them. Also, while I am not aware of any research to support the theory that mouthwashes with alcohol can lead to oral cancers, it certainly has been a concern. Again, even though the studies I am aware of have not found any evidence to support that concern, I just don't see any advantage to recommending an alcohol containing mouthwash so I'd rather just avoid the whole issue and recommend something like ACT.

OrthoTech

#25 Post by OrthoTech »

As long as it has Fluoride in it, I'm happy :)

jetxness

#26 Post by jetxness »

my ortho uses scope (original) in his office and that's what type i have been buying.

he gives me a bottle of Oro-NaF which is a pure fluoride rinse to use once a day.

hopelessjen

#27 Post by hopelessjen »

I've experimented with all kinds of different mouthwashes in the last few weeks and I'm getting hooked on the green Crest Pro Health. The blue clumped but the green hasn't. I also like the Citrus Literine. I've also been trying different toothpastes, so it depends on what flavor of toothpast I go with (fruity vs. minty). I really like ACT's cinamon for flouride at night and, although it's only been 2 days with hardware, the warm saltwater that was suggested has been amazing! The spots that are starting to be shredded heal instantly and feel good for the rest of the day. Big thank you to KK for that advise.

Xero

#28 Post by Xero »

I for one, love Crest Pro-Health!

It clumps, because it attaches to the stuff you need to brush off. It's supposed to be a pre-brush rinse! If you use it before you brush, then the clumping makes sense.