Underestimated waterpik

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

victor36

#46 Post by victor36 »

I just bought a Waterpik Ultra today. I got it at Target for $59.99. I've never used a waterpik before so I read all the instructions--especially the part about how you should start at the lowest setting and raise the setting as needed-- and I must say I am very pleased and impressed with this product. I wish I would have bought it 6 months ago when I first got braced. But better late than never, right?

Oh... after the first "tankful" I decided to raise the setting and I was actually able to comfortably use it at "10" (highest/strongest setting)... I didn't experience any pain or bleeding as others in the forum have, but if you try it, be forewarned that it uses a lot more water than the lower settings, and it's messier, also a bit more noise.

~Victor

[]-[]-[]-[]
B-day: 02/06/07
Adjustments: 04/03/07, 05/30/07, 07/25/07, 09/18/07, 11/15/07, 01/10/08, 03/04/08, 05/08/08
Debonding: 07/01/08
18 month prognosis
Actual Treatment Time: 1 year, 4 months, 25 days
Click on the Image ↓↓ below for my story.

victor36

Thanks Karen

#47 Post by victor36 »

Thanks, Karen! I know I can always count on you for sound advice. I wouldn't want to undo all the good things that braces are doing... only to have my teeth fall out!!!! It honestly doesn't feel like the water is penetrating that deeply below the gumline, but I don't want to be responsible for causing my own tooth loss!!!

~Victor
B-day: 02/06/07
Adjustments: 04/03/07, 05/30/07, 07/25/07, 09/18/07, 11/15/07, 01/10/08, 03/04/08, 05/08/08
Debonding: 07/01/08
18 month prognosis
Actual Treatment Time: 1 year, 4 months, 25 days
Click on the Image ↓↓ below for my story.

AMinTX

#48 Post by AMinTX »

I just got a waterpik ultra today. I ordered from drugstore.com because I had over $6 in drugstore dollars & it was on sale (10% off), so I got it with shipping for only $47.

I get my braces Thurs. the 11th, so I am hoping it will make teeth cleaning easier!

Angela

TsuKata

#49 Post by TsuKata »

Has anyone tried adding salt to the water in your waterpix reservoir? I'm wondering if that would accomplish the effect of a salt rinse. Per the instructions, you can use other solutions with the waterpik, but I'm a bit nervous that the salt water mixture will be too abrasive or something.

TsuKata

#50 Post by TsuKata »

Oh, I agree that it's not necessary, but they do make my mouth feel better whenever I've got sore spots. :)

Miss Smiley

#51 Post by Miss Smiley »

I'd have to agree with Mer on not using the Waterpik on sore spots. I think it said something about that in the manual. Even on low, the pressure is firm enough not to make me want to put it somewhere so tender.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

TsuKata

#52 Post by TsuKata »

Oh, I didn't make myself clear. So, I'm lazy. :) What I've been doing every night is brushing my teeth, then (if I've got canker sore spots) rinsing with salt water, then waterpik-ing to get between the tight spots on my braces and get rid of any remaining food...and last, I either floss or dentabrush anywhere that I can still feel or see food bits. The last step is only necessary if I've been eating something like pulled pork that gets all caught in everything.

Anyways, my thought was that if I put salt water in the waterpik, I could combine those two steps. So, I'd waterpik my teeth, and simultaneously get a washing of good warm salt water to swish around any sore spots. I'd never point the waterpik at a sorespot. Heck, there are some places that I can't tolerate the waterpik on setting 2!

I tried it last night with great success. My new powerchain has a loose rubber end where it's tied off that is irritating the hell out of one spot in my mouth, and wax won't stick to it for very long. :)

Delag

#53 Post by Delag »

Well, I jus bought my fourth oral irrigator. Yes folks 1-2-3-4. I thought that this might make me a bit of an expert (or really pathetic) and I would write a review

#1 - Conair interplax (the square one). A good product for the money ($30US). It has an adjustable spray from 1 - 10....I liked between 5 and 6. It has a good sized water tank never gave me a spot of trouble. However, the coiled cord could be fiddly, it was a bit loud, and the water tank was hard to take out. For the record this one didn't die....I took an extended trip and forgot to clean it out before I left. I couldn't stand the thought of all the mold and nasties that were probably growing in there so I pitched it.

#2 Conair portable - I didn't care for this one at all. The stream was so hard it hurt to use. The charge didn't last more than a few days either. However, it is very compact and the way the water tank doubles as a cap makes it a good choice for travel if you like a strong spray and you don't mind traveling with a charger.

#3 Portable waterpik . This comes with two spray nozzles; one for a stronger stream and one for a weaker stream. I did not find the strong nozzle to be at all uncomfortable. This held a charge for at least 10 days and I found that I used this one more because it was so handy. Cons, the flip top that covers the water resivior was difficult to open and mine snapped off one day while opening, and the tank needs to be filled twice (not really a big deal). I always let the battery run down before recharging, but one day it would no longer charge. This one lasted 3 months.

#4 The Waterpik Ultra. This one is the best I have tried, however it is more expensive. The tank is a good size, the wand fits nicely back into its place, there is a great place to store all of the tools. This model is quieter than the Interplax countertop model and the tank comes off like a dream as well. This seems to be a bit stronger than the Interplax (I like using the #4 setting) and it seems more sturdy.

BracefaceJenn

#54 Post by BracefaceJenn »

Hey guys....the only problem I have with the waterpik is that I've wet the entire sink/mirror when I'm finished! It's very noisy, as well. I don't think it's "amazing" yet, but I've only used it three times...I need to stick to it and see if I like it more as time goes on.

dramaqueendaisy

#55 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

To answer your question swellen I am on my third Waterpick and it's just broken down!!!

When it's working it's wonderful...but after a few weeks it stops halfway through and then won't re-charge. The thing is I can't manage without mine now so I shall be taking it back to Boots for a replacement as soon as I can...it's so annoying! :-+

Anyone else had the same problem???

5 teeth out during Feb 07

Ceramics top and bottom Friday 9 March 2007

Braces removed (!!) and permanent retainers fitted Monday 24 May 2010

Essix retainers Wednesday 26 May 2010

Jex

#56 Post by Jex »

I needed to not underestimate my waterpik in a totally different way----I shot water all over the bathroom. It is NOT like riding a bike, where you'll always know how to do it! :lol:

I got the Ultra and I'm very excited about the many things it can do, especially pressure washing my entire bathroom. LOL

Tops went on March 4, 2008
Lowers go on May 30, 2008
Bracket Mullet---metal on the bottom (business), Ice (party) on the top!

xo~sammy

WaterPik Ultra for $40

#57 Post by xo~sammy »

WaterPik Ultra for $40

They are on Amazon.com for $40 shipped - notice the coupon code

I ordered mine late last week and it is set to arrive today.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-Ultra-De ... 411&sr=8-1

Jen Finnamore

waterpik

#58 Post by Jen Finnamore »

I love my water pic its the best thing ever :)