Flossing

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

michelle85

Flossing

#1 Post by michelle85 »

Today when I went to my orthodontist to get my braces on they gave me these flossers. They've got a stiff wire to get in under the wire, then a spongy part to clean the wire, and then the actual floss. I could NOT get these things to work! I finally just gave up.

I know flossing is really important. Is there anything else I can use that's easier?

michelle85

#2 Post by michelle85 »

Bending the tip is a great idea. Part of the problem was feeding it through the wire.

My biggest issue is using the floss. My mouth is very small and its really awkward trying to get behind my teeth to floss. I've never used regular floss before - I used this thing that had a body like a toothbrush and the head was a threaded flosser. I guess what I'm looking for is something like that.

michelle85

#3 Post by michelle85 »

I managed to floss last night. It took about 25 minutes but I got it :). The only thing was I couldn't get to my back teeth. That's something else that's going to take some practice. But bending the tip helped a lot!

cdwright

Floss

#4 Post by cdwright »

get some of the glide threader floss, and you wil not look back.

Each box has 30 individually wrapped pieces that have a threader at one end.

My advice is to get used to putting you fingers in your mouth. A great deal of time can be saved once you learn how to move the floss

For example when flossing the uppers: push the thread up through the gap in the brackets while you pull you cheek away from you teeth. While holding it through with the cross hand, take a finger and place it on the floss above the brackets, slide it forward with you finger

The same can be done on the bottom, but instead you will be threading downward.

hope that helps.
Oh sure, I see Bart gets to have a gun. - Homer Simpson.