What's going on with these mouthwashes?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

dev

What's going on with these mouthwashes?

#1 Post by dev »

My generic version of ACT fluoride rinse next to my generic version of Crest Pro-Health rinse.

If the ACT equivalent contains CPC, what's the point in using the Pro-Health rinse? Does anybody know the concentration of the CPC in ACT? Did I waste $4 buying that generic Pro-Health today?

dimeech

#2 Post by dimeech »

Oh, my gosh- I noticed it last week, too! I just started using walmart bubblegum fluoride and I'm one of the seemingly few peeps who really likes Crest Pro Health (I also buy that generic, too!)
But since you're only supposed to use the ACT fluoride ONCE a day (and of course having the cetylpyridinium chloride will reduce that one extra step of using the mouthwash before bed! I think it's a good thing :)

Iceolated

#3 Post by Iceolated »

I think the difference in labeling is because of the difference in the primary purpose of each product.

The generic pro-health rinse is an antigingivitis/antiplaque product so CPC is the active ingredient that peforms that primary function.

The generic ACT rinse is an anti-cavity rinse which is why sodium flouride is listed as the active ingredient.

Inactive ingredients can be thought of those that 'assist' the active ingredients in their application.

I don't think that CPC alone is a good enough indicator to show that one will receive the beneift of the generic pro-health merely by using the generic ACT.

U.S. water supplies are flourinated as are toothpastes but that doesn't mean you can get the same result brushing your teeth with a non-flouride toothpaste and water as you would a flouride toothpaste.

Concentration of ingredients is important as are other factors. Many toothpastes and mouthwashes are of a relatively 'neutral' ph and help keep keep your mouth so during cleaning.

Respectfully,

Ice.

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

CelestialVoices

#4 Post by CelestialVoices »

I never noticed the difference in labeling, but I do buy both Pro Health and the generic fluoride rinse too. :)