should I buy a waterpick, sonicare or both

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

tebert

should I buy a waterpick, sonicare or both

#1 Post by tebert »

I'm getting braces on tomorrow. I'm nervous enough, but don't want to worry about spending lots of time in the bathroom cleaning. Any thoughts about if it is worth it to buy these products or if anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Some kind of oral irrigator, be it a Waterpik or some other brand is invaluable in flushing out debris stuck round the brackets.

An electric toothbrush isn't a necessity but it does make brushing a little less of a chore. I personally didn't get on with the Sonicare and went back to my old Oral-B spinbrush which suits me fine.

Other essentials are floss (you can buy superfloss which has a stiffened end for threading under the wire or buy normal floss and use a threader) and interdental brushes.

A fluoride mouthwash is a good addition for keeping your teeth in good health while they're braced.

Your ortho might give you a goodie bag tomorrow when you go. A lot of them seem to - and it will have some useful items in there. Mine had a little hand mirror, some wax for putting over sharp bits of the brace to stop them irritating my mouth, some floss, some mouthwash and a orthodontic toothbrush.

Good luck for tomorrow!

aggiechick

#3 Post by aggiechick »

Here's what I use:

In the evenings, I use my Sonicare Elite (9300, I think) and floss with either Superfloss or Glide. I also rinse with Periomed (RX fluoride rinse from my dentist).

In the morings, I use my Sonicare Elite before showering, then in the shower, I use a Waterpik personal (costs about $29, so not too expensive). Before I get in the shower, I fill the Waterpik with a 1:1 mix of Listerine (fresh mint) and water. I use that up in the shower, then refill it in the shower with plain water. That seems to work really well because I don't make a mess everywhere.

I brush with a manual toothbrush the other times during the day b/c I'm usually not at home. I also use one of the small brushes to clean around my brackets.

NotBob1

#4 Post by NotBob1 »

I would do a Sonicare from eBay (Websbestdeals has the best prices on them) and an Oral-Breeze as Karen suggested. The Oral Breeze works sooo well. Plus you can adjust the temperature & pressure.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.