Comfort Cover for Braces

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Grammy

Comfort Cover for Braces

#1 Post by Grammy »

My ortho tech gave me some of these to cover a large gap with a wire.
That didn't really bother me. But today I got my lowers, and they are metal, and so rough they were tearing up my lip! I tried this and it is SO COMFORTABLE! It is a clear vinyl strip with a lip top and bottom, and it covers the brackets and wire! You cut to length. It maks it SMOOTH again. You can wear it only at night, but it doesn't look that bad for day wear, and take it off to eat. I'm not sure about drinking anything other than water, b/c it would probably seep into it and stay there. Has anybody else seen these?
I am new so this may not be news to anybody else, but they sure help! :D
aiming for a BEAUTIFUL smile!

Dodger(UK)

#2 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Sounds interesting have you got a picture of them or do you know what they are called, is this the new replacement for wax I wonder??? :wink:

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

I've seen this product and have thought of carrying it.

There are two types: one with little ridges that fit into the brackets, and one that is just smooth and fits over brackets. They are usually made of silicone or smooth plastic and cover the brackets entirely (from one end of the arch to the other).

Here are a couple of products that are similar to what you describe:

https://www.braceguard.com/Secure/

https://www.morganbumper.com/index1.html

There is also a product made by Masel Orthodontics called Kissable Kovers which is similar to those above.

Hope this helps!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Grammy

comfort cover

#4 Post by Grammy »

It is called "Comfort Cover for Braces". No manufacturer is on the package.
I have a photo, but don't know how to post it! It is from my digital, and saved as JPEG. If you can guide me through it, I'll be glad to show you.
It looks like the smooth king, with a channel. Sort of like the "morganbumber" Lynn's link showed. Two strips about 6 inches long in a tube, and clear. It is so comfortable, I defintely recommend it to be added to the Denta-Kit or available separately.
Wish I could show you!
aiming for a BEAUTIFUL smile!

Knucemike

#5 Post by Knucemike »

I have tried the morgan bumpers. They looked like a great product but i just could not keep them on the braces. I have a few strips left, if anyone would like to try one - I would be happy to send you a strip to try before you buy. They are clear. Just let me know.

I wish i could find something that I could use on my braces. Wax is ok but its gets to be a pain applying then reapplying.

Mike

Hmm....

#6 Post by Guest »

does anyone think these could be of any use with lingual braces? Perhaps by creating a slightly more uniform surface, it would be easier to speak since the main problem seems to be all the different surfaces on the back of your teeth that create a general airy sound and keep you from pronouncing 'S's.

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Just updating information here. DentaKit.com now carries Comfort Covers. I don't know if you can use them with lingual braces -- the company that makes them offers no suggestions in this regard. However, I don't see why you can't use them with linguals -- after all, a bracket is a bracket. Before you buy them for lingual braces, you may want to ask your orthodontist.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!