Newbie to braces, NEED SOME PRODUCTS!!

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Shelby014

Newbie to braces, NEED SOME PRODUCTS!!

#1 Post by Shelby014 »

I am getting my braces in four days, and i still havent stocked up on the stuff i'll need. I am seriously leaning toward silicone wax, cuz i'm heard its WAY better. If anyone could manage it i am in desperate need of a list of stuff i'll need cuz i dont have anyone around at the moment that has braces that could tell me. I dont want to inconvienience anybody, but i really need this list ( please just list the stuff that you like the best ) thank you so much for your time!!! :wink:

Dawn

#2 Post by Dawn »

Wax was the only thing I HAD to have. I've used both the usual wax and the silicone wax. Both work fine, but the silicone was a bit harder to work with.
The best advice is to put together a travel bag for yourself, with travel toothbrush, toothpaste, some picks to dislodge food and even floss. This way you can clean your teeth anywhere you go. Or pick up a Dentakit...I still use mine often.
Also, I like the Peroxyl rinse that really helped me when the inside of my mouth felt all torn up. It cleans out the open areas and helps them heal faster.
Good luck!

Shelby014

thx

#3 Post by Shelby014 »

thank you so much, you have no idea how great this list is for me. Any particular brands you prefer, i only wanna get the BEST stuff, cuz my mouth is really tender, i get cuts easy!! thx for your time!! :D

Shelby014

i forgot to mention

#4 Post by Shelby014 »

What kind of toothbrush do you reccommend? I think i am leaning towards getting a electric one, it seems like it could clean my teeth better then just a regular toothbrush, just need some reccommendations on some good ones, not the really cheap ones that dont really work, thx a bunch you guys, you are SOOOOOO helpful!! :D :D
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

redjunebug

#5 Post by redjunebug »

i just got my oral-b sonic complete....(for the love of Pete!!!!) and i am in heaven...also, i got it on ebay (new in package of coarse) for 50.00 bucks including shipping....(doin the happy dance) oh yeah oh yeah :D
Value ALL Families.

CelestialVoices

Re: i forgot to mention

#6 Post by CelestialVoices »

Meryaten wrote:
Shelby014 wrote:What kind of toothbrush do you reccommend? I think i am leaning towards getting a electric one, it seems like it could clean my teeth better then just a regular toothbrush, just need some reccommendations on some good ones, not the really cheap ones that dont really work, thx a bunch you guys, you are SOOOOOO helpful!! :D :D
My ortho gave me a Sonicare Elite 7500. I love it!
I agree, Sonicare is great :)

Shelby014

cool cool!!

#7 Post by Shelby014 »

i cant wait until i get there get my braces, and all the GOODIES!!!! I just hope i can MAKE IT, its supposed to be really painful, the first week or so, and i play the clarinet, and i dont have any idea how i am going to get to keep playing, i have to fold my lower lip over my bottom teeth, and i'm going to get top and bottom braces, does anyone know of a good guard that i could wear other then just at the times that i'm playing my clarinet?? thx so much guys, you just dont even get how much your helping me out with this whole braces thing!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

Shelby014

Thx, i'll have to check that out!

#8 Post by Shelby014 »

Yeah, probably, thx meryaten i've been lurkin around ( LoL ) and i've noticed you post a lot of good posts in here, and i was just wondering, whats YOUR canker remedy?
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

Shelby014

thanks bunches

#9 Post by Shelby014 »

Oh, ok that sounds like it might be pretty nice, i never thought of tums though, pretty ingenious if you ask me. I am just trying to gather all of the information that i can before i get my BRACESon!! ( can you tell that i am just getting so pumped? ) I almost forgot to ask, could the TUM in anyway hurt your brackets or wires, i was just wondering if i had to be careful when i suck on them ( dont wanna break anything ) well talk to you later!!!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

Shelby014

OMG!!!

#10 Post by Shelby014 »

LOL that is hilarious!!! I guess those people had never had braces before!! Like i ALWAYS say you gotta go what you gotta do, and thats that. :D thanks for so much of your input!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

bbsadmin

Re: cool cool!!

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

Shelby014 wrote:i play the clarinet, and i dont have any idea how i am going to get to keep playing, i have to fold my lower lip over my bottom teeth, and i'm going to get top and bottom braces, does anyone know of a good guard that i could wear other then just at the times that i'm playing my clarinet??
Aside from wax or silicone, there are three products on the market: Brace Guard, Comfort Covers, and a snap-on Lip Protector (also called Jet Tone in some music stores).

Some orthos can also make a custom guard (similar to an invisalign tray, but covering your brackets). If your arch wires are really crooked at first, I would recommend the Brace Guard, because you make it yourself from the little kit, so it is 100% custom to your mouth. It was created for musicians 22 years ago.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Shelby014

Great!!

#12 Post by Shelby014 »

thats really cool!! but my teeth are pretty straight so i might just try the comfort covers though, because they look pretty comfy, i am just looking for something that i can wear even when i'm not playing the clarinet, cuz i have a bad feeling that i'm gonna be in a lot of pain for canker sores. Thanks Lynn
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

hannerrr_xo

braces supplies

#13 Post by hannerrr_xo »

i've only had braces for a little over a week, and i'm only a teen, but i have some stuff that works pretty well.
~a proxy brush ("christmas tree brush"): this is great for cleaning under the wire and stuff.
~WAX: omg this is soo good!! especially brand GUM. it was mint flavored :D
~mouthwash: it rinses out gunk and stuff
~a mirror: bring this with you to lunch and stuff, and you can see if there's anything stuck. its really good.
good luck!!

Shelby014

#14 Post by Shelby014 »

i'm only a teen too, and thanks for writing back, i have found that i much prefer silicone wax to waxy wax, it just feels better to me, and its not all gummy feeling, and i love my proxy brush and interdental brush. threader floss is my best friend!!! thanks again for answering back!!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]