Best mouthwash..

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

rockexrolloh

Best mouthwash..

#1 Post by rockexrolloh »

What is everyone's favorite mouthwash? I've been using Crest Pro-Health but like many others on this board, I am not satisfied. It clumps up on my teeth and I end up having to brush them again. And I don't even have my braces yet!
So I'm looking for a good mouthwash that isn't too pricey.

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I use Listerine...it has flouride. I use it in the morning and night, and you can't eat or drink for 30 minutes after rinsing.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

August1

#3 Post by August1 »

I like ACT anticavity fluoride rinse. My ortho recommended that I use some sort of fluoride rinse.

nimo

#4 Post by nimo »

I've been using the prescription mouthwash that I got after having my teeth pulled, but it has that clumpy effect, too. I like it better than Listerine though. Listerine may be effective, but it burns. Hate it!
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

bracesmom

#5 Post by bracesmom »

I use Act as well and have been satisfied.

rockexrolloh

#6 Post by rockexrolloh »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I picked up some Listerine and ACT. I especially love the cinnamon ACT. It's great and Walmart sells the cheaper generic kind!

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

If you're looking for a germ-killing mouthwash that doesn't sting, try Biotene. It has a peppermint flavor.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Samantha08

#8 Post by Samantha08 »

My dental hygenist told me to buy ACT mouthwash. I like it alot better than the Listerine I was using, it doesnt burn nearly as much. Plus, my hygenist told me that some of the Listerine mouthwashes dont have fluoride, and ACT does. So thats good too :)
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

*Denise*

#9 Post by *Denise* »

I am going to buy some Act or Biotene tomorrow. :D

Granola

#10 Post by Granola »

I use different mouthwashes for different purposes.

I only like to use a fluoride-containing product once per day (as advised by my dentist) so I use ACT after my morning cleaning routine, then don't eat or drink for 30 minutes afterwords.

The rest of the time I use Listerine (I purposely do not buy the kind with fluoride), because I don't floss every single time that I brush my teeth, of course, and rinsing vigorously with Listerine helps remove soft plaque off of the teeth (per my hygienist).

As an aside, I recently bought a bottle of the new Listerine vanilla-mint flavor. It was weird at first, but I ended up kind of liking it! It didn't burn as much as the flavor that I have now.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

mindwaves

#11 Post by mindwaves »

I hate that Colgate Pro Health thing because it leaves the stuff on your teeth, braces or not. I just use Listerine exclusively now.

babymetalmouth

#12 Post by babymetalmouth »

I use some stuff called denta mint with flouride.. Its 50p a bottle, and my mum wont buy me it becuase Im basically using a bottle a week or so.

I use it probs 3 times a day? I dont care if its not expencive, it does the job, and I floss every day now.. sometimes twice if i havent got anything to do, sometimes i just sit on my sofa with my toothbrush and just brush em or the sake of it... It cant hurt?

I used to NEVER brush my teeth so I think brushing 5 times a day and flossing everyday and using flouride mouthwash is a big chnage! And im happy with my routite, I really need to start using salt water though, although Im petrified Im gonna chuck up like I did the first time.,.. :cry:
Sorry for typos, I BLAME MSN!

mindwaves

#13 Post by mindwaves »

On a kind of off-topic note, are you supposed to rinse after using mouthwash?

Iceolated

#14 Post by Iceolated »

A lot of people don't like Listerine beacuse of it's burn...that's the 26% alcohol content. The original version is absolutely awful.

I only started using Listerine when they came out with the cool burst and fresh mint type flavors. At the moment I am using the Citrus flavored rinse in the morning and at lunch.

In the evening last thing before bed, I use the new ACT restoring mouthwash - supposed to strengthen weak spots.

I have used Crest Pro-Health and not had the clumping problem that others describe. Perhaps a different formula in other countries?

Also, I don't know of any Listerines in the U.S. that contain flouride. My Citrus doesn't, neither does the original. What is the name of the flouride containing Listerine - anyone found it in the U.S.?

Cheers,

Ice

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

Kriz

#15 Post by Kriz »

I use the GREEN Crest Prohealth mouthwash. The GREEN one doesnt leave those little specks on your teeth like the original blue one did. I think I will try ACT next time though, because I heard someone way it was cinnamon. I love cinnamon :)

Kriz