My story starts here!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

My story starts here!

#1 Post by newmetal »

Hi,
Last edited by newmetal on Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

hi newmetal, I think many of us can relate to your situation and feelings. I agonised over treatment for a lot longer than you have, but once I made a decision, the pressure sort of lifted.

Good luck for next month.

newmetal

#3 Post by newmetal »

I have my consultation with the ortho tommorow. Im really hoping he doesnt advise me to have jaw surgery as my bite is not that drastic and i dont agree with putting myself under surgery for such a minor change. I'm only agonising over being told i need surgery is because my dentist, who didnt spend longer than 2 secs looking at my teeth, said that the ortho might advise surgery. But as i said, i wont be having surgery, i commend people who do have the bravery to go through with surgery but i hate pain and im not going to be put under it unnecesarily. Im really hoping the ortho doesnt advise what the dentist said he may. So the consultation is tommorow at 5pm, not nervous but im worried the ortho will offer surgery. I will update 2mrw, only tommorow will i know if my brace journey begins or ends!
Many Thanks to you all

jenfire

#4 Post by jenfire »

Good luck on your consult, newmetal. Hope all goes well!

jenfire

newmetal

#5 Post by newmetal »

Hey peeps,
So went to my ortho consul on wednesday and came away with a mixture of feelings. He basically told me i would not need jaw surgery as i have an underbite but it is very slight. Before the consul he made a few things clear. After looking at my teeth he explained due to my skeletal position he will not be able to close the slight gap between where my front teeth meet. He explained that my teeth meet but my upper teeth should be pushed forward. I had a major result in the fact he told me i would only need an upper brace and my tooth that sticks out would get into place within six months. I did ask him though, if there was anything he could do to close the gap and he said that from his point of view it wasnt a problem, but if i really wanted it, he could extract 4 teeth and have a brace placed on my bottom and top teeth-double money and time. This is something i need to think about. I feel i will go with his first option to have just a brace on my upper teeth as he said from his perspective there isnt a need for the upper and lower arch being braced. If i have the treatment he suggested he told me i will be braced for a year to 14 months.
The treatment:
Ceramic brace on the top arch with a tooth coloured wire.
Arch expander- dont have a clue what this thing achieves so any info would be helpful????
Small retainer wire placed behind my front teeth for 2 years after treatment. This isnt a problem as it will not be seen.
Time period-1 year to 14 months.

Anyway guys im going to go up to bed, have work in the morning and these dodgy hours are taking it out of me. Many thanks for your responses.
Update soon
Peace

newmetal

#6 Post by newmetal »

Im pretty keen on this ortho, he made me feel in control and didnt patronise or beat around the bush, which my dentist does. The gap between my bite could be fixed if i really wanted it to using lower braces nd extractions. Although, he said he really didnt see the need as it wasnt a problem. Yea im grand with not having a lower brace as my lower teeth are all straight, so i think hes just going to work on fixing the top teeth n making them adapt to suit my bottom teeth sort of thing.
Anyone know what an expander does?

newmetal

#7 Post by newmetal »

Ah no thats fine KK. I agree i was slightly confused but after thinking hard about it i think i have decided for the top ceramic brace. I am worried about the pain of the brace and the way it will affect my speech but i just want it done now. Thanks so much for the expander info, it gave me a real insight on what to expect.Ill write soon

newmetal

#8 Post by newmetal »

Hey peeps!
Just a short update. Getting my extractions on monday and wednesday next week and im not going to lie, im quite scared about the pain etc. Im having four teeth out in total ready for my braces!

Im going to book my B day tommorow with the knowledge of having my extractions out next week so ill post the date tommorow.

I havnt had any doubts over getting a brace as yet but im just worried about these extractions and thats the only thing putting me off the braces!!

grr

Many Thanks

newmetal

#9 Post by newmetal »

Roots removed?That sounds quite intense! Did he have all three out in a day, as im having two out on one day and another two the next. Was there much pain whilst actually having them pulled?

newmetal

#10 Post by newmetal »

Well i now have my B day date and it is:

8th Sept 2006 at 5:05pm

I also have to get spacers in the week before on the:

1st Sept 2006 at 4:20pm

Im a bit aprehensive but im looking forward to officially starting my journey which will last for hopefully 2 years.

newmetal

#11 Post by newmetal »

Also, can anyone tell me how to set up a ticker?

newmetal

#12 Post by newmetal »

Done it!!!!!! Now ive got my countdown! Thanks rage!

newmetal

#13 Post by newmetal »

Just an update....at work now with a bit of a sore mouth to say the least. I had two extractions out, one upper and one lower and i am due back for another two on wednesday. Was not as bad as i expected at all! The worse bit was the injections as i had 3 four all together, the one in the roof of the mouth reallly hurt! Its hard adjusting to the fact i have two teeth missing but i hope ill get use to it and not notice. Quite happy that im one step closer to getting braced!

Bell

#14 Post by Bell »

Hi newmetal, i like yourself don't like smiling when im in photos or try and not smile when im around a group of people.
my problem is that i have alot of crowding to the front bottom and top of my teeth. and two teeth are slightly back from the others causing a shadow/or looks like i have a tooth missing sometimes. :oops:

Im slightly self conscious because of this, my dentist every six months or so when i go for a check up he always comments on my crowding and how nice a smile i would achieve if i got braces to spread my teeth out and straigten them up.

I had my wisdom teeth removed in mid April 2006, so after that i decided to make an appt with a referred orthodontist whom then sent me to get xrays, then moulds etc and now im due to take the plunge and get braces after all these years :lol:

Im in a professional job which has alot of face to face contact so im a little nervous on the noticability of the braces, however everyone on this board has given me some helpful advice, i just want the perfect smile that ive always wanted and im closer to getting this with braces :lol:

Good luck with your journey newmetal, best wishes with your journey, hope to see some of your progress pics soon. Keep us updated :pinkbraces:
~Damon 3 Braces top and bottom~
~Braced on 11th September 2006~

Joanna20

#15 Post by Joanna20 »

Hello! I'm having my 2nd adjustment on the same day you are having your braces fitted!
Good luck,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February