Blonde Metals Road to Recovery W/ Pics. Some Advice Needed..

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

momofbrock

#16 Post by momofbrock »

I had constant headaches and tooth tenderness, too. I assumed it was because of my wisdom teeth that were impacted (but I ignored them)and one day I had a migraine so bad I couldn't open my eyes (literally).

I got my wisdom teeth pulled and that made the migraines a lot less frequent but my teeth were still tender all the time on the right side and I also have the loud "CLICK" sound when I eat or yawn or open my mouth for anything.

I had wanted braces for appx 10 years because my teeth are a little too crooked for my liking but put it off. When the dentist said my headaches/tenderness was because of my teeth that was the last straw.

On my left side my back teeth fall where they should..... Top teeth fall between two of the bottom teeth. On the right side my teeth line up so my teeth slam into each other when I eat or do anything. So I was doing weird things with my jaw trying to get them to line up (which I didnt' even realize I did) and when my right side would line up my left wouldn't so I just couldn't win.
He said he was surprised I hadn't wore the enamel off my teeth on the right side.

So here I am with braces! :wink:

groovie

How Exciting!

#17 Post by groovie »

I just read your story and I'm so excited!! For me the pain was there for about 2 weeks, but after a while, I told myself that pain means the teeth are shifting, so I would get excited to see the movement.

I took a picture every month, after my adjustments. I have them on my webpage so take a look if you're bored. After the first month you'll already see changes.

In your case, I suppose your headaches will slowly go away. Good luck!!

Blonde_Metal04

#18 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

Thanks for the support guys!!
Its day #2, and I am in A LOT of pain..
My teeth are so sensitive and tight. I hardly got any sleep last night because of the pain. I have been doing Salt Water Rinses since the spacers went in... maybe I was using the wrong concentration?..
Tylenol does take some of the edge off, but I was not expecting it to be this painful. The assistant did tell me that the archwire was really tight because my ortho was expecting rapid movement, but I am so uncomfortable I am wishing these things were off of my teeth. I know it will be worth it in the end but it is so hard for me to stay positive because I am just tired of being in pain in general...
I am worried because I have to go into the ortho in about an hour because one of my brackets (on a fang-dracula looking canine) popped off. I was trying to floss, and the space was SO TIGHT that I just popped it right off...
Anyway, if anyone has any tips other than what I have mentioned, to help out the pain, please let me know!
Thanks for the support!
Spacers: 08/09/2006

momofbrock

#19 Post by momofbrock »

Patience was the only thing that made my pain go away. Sorry!

Day #4 was a big turning point and it just got better after that. I have days where I don't give my braces a second thought and then I'll have a day where my teeth are tender.
Pain is movement. Movement is AWESOME!

Now that I'm used to these buggers I can't wait til my first appointment!

Lisa65

#20 Post by Lisa65 »

I love the ligs!

Sorry to hear you're having some discomfort. I'm not sure the salt concentration will make much difference to the pain level. Personally I found that ibuprofen (Advil) was about the best pain relief. I took it 3 times a day for about 3 days after my braces were put on until my teeth settled into wearing them. The salt water is good for toughening up your mouth and will help with any sore spots, and make sure you use that wax.

I hope your teeth soon settle down.

jennandtonic

#21 Post by jennandtonic »

Hope some of the pain has gone away, BM!

I read your story and I've got to compliment you on your concise writing style. You write it so that we have a clear vision of what went on!

I promise it's not always that bad. Once some of the major pain goes away you'll practically forget you had it.

I look forward to reading more of your braces journey...and the pics look great! :D

Blonde_Metal04

#22 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

Hello everyone!
Thanks for visiting my story and offering words of support and encouragement.... It's been about 4 days since these puppies went on and, my Canine has moved dramatically, all of my teeth are loose, and my bite feels completely different! I've noticed areas that are much smoother than they used to be and all of these changes are what has been pulling me through these rough first days...

As far as the pain is concerned... it was A LOT worse than what I was expecting... and I am not sensitive to pain, in fact, I've been told that I have a high pain tolerance.... I think my mouth is just wimpy..lol... I never get canker sores or anything so I have never really had to deal with all of these mouth sores... all of the cavities I have ever had have all been minor, so I've never had a toothache or root canal or anything... I think basically all of this pressure on my teeth and cutting in my mouth is something my mouth has never remotely experienced, so that is what is making this transition so hard...

The good news is that, today, my teeth ONLY ache when I try to eat.... other than that, they have been comfortable.... Before today, they ached all day, everyday, with no relief! This morning when I woke up, I was in heaven... Brushing and flossing was so much better... not the torture chamber that it has been... and I am just waiting for the day until I can eat with ease... I am getting sick of mashed veggies and smoothies :wink:

I want to thank everyone who has been encouraging me because that has been a big help in easing the pain as well...

I mentioned in my last post that my bracket popped off.... so I went into the ortho, in TONS of pain, and he was so impressed with the movement, he changed my wires and ligs!! OMG I thought I was going to die!! All of the pressure on my teeth that he and the assistant were putting.... But at least I know I had a lot of progress to get a new wire in just one day! The Ortho told me that he would wait a week or so to change it if I liked because my teeth were so tender, but I told him I just wanted to get it over with because I was already in pain anyway....--Dont worry he wasn't trying to torture me or anything...

Well, this is what's new... I will post some pics of my new ligs/movement in a while....

:)

swiss1

#23 Post by swiss1 »

Hi BM! Congratulations on getting braced and on getting some movement so quickly :jump: That's amazing! And you have such great teeth already - hopefully the headache thing will get sorted out in no time.

Hope the pain is settling down - can't give you any tips on that as I haven't started my journey yet....

Good luck with more movement!

Blonde_Metal04

#24 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

Thanks Guys!!

So, here is the long-awaited picture of my new wire and ligs after just one day...Sorry it didn't come over the weekend but I got a terrible migraine and was unable to function.... but you only had to wait two days!! lol... anyway, I think that you can see movement.. I SURE CAN..... and let me tell you, I think all of the pain has been because, since I am 19, my teeth are still young enough to move rapidly!!..

So here is the picture.. I chose teal ligs.... but I miss my old colors.. :(

I am glad that my teeth are moving so rapidly, because my ortho told me that he gave me the estimate of 18-24 months because typically it takes 24 months if the mouth is fully developed, because the teeth wont move as rapidly, but since mine are moving so fast, that I can expect 18months or less... This makes me happy because the less time in these things, the better....I've started elastics to move the canines down, and they are called ELEPHANTS by SMILE SAFARI and they have an elephant on the cover... they are 3/16" (4.8mm Heavy)

Since I changed wires so fast, he made my next appointment for October 13th... so here's to hoping that they move even more and that my treatment time can become less and less!!

:)
Cheers everyone.

Xero

#25 Post by Xero »

Thanks for the support in my log! I think I may be getting elastics like you too! Not on my canine, but a tooth near that one...I think next to it. It needs to be moved down.

Cheers!
About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

A very special thanks to KK & linda21 for constantly reading my log. Thanks!

dark_angel475

#26 Post by dark_angel475 »

Looking good so far! The pain wont be as bad in a few months... promise. :D
[/url]

Blonde_Metal04

#27 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

So.. I haven't updated in a while because not a lot has gone on, really... lol... anyway, I had my second adjustment yesterday..
My ortho was pleased with my progress, and he upgraded my wire and gave me a stronger elastic. My canine is being a little stubborn about moving down. He told me I have to get the ball rolling regarding removing my wisdom teeth. Im terrified of having oral surgery. Im not concerned about the pain, but more about being put to sleep. In highscool, I knew a boy who died under the anastesia... he had a heart attack from it.. so I have always been a little afraid of it. Needless to say, I scheduled my appointment for a consultation with an OS on the 28th... *gulp*..
My ortho was really pleased at how well I have been keeping up my oral hygene! He said that most of his teenagers don't take good care of their teethies... Well, this teenager does!.. My dad was always too poor growing up to go to a dentist, he just lived on a farm in Colorado... So he made sure that, since now he is better off... his children take good care of their teeth!..
I decided on purple and pink ligs this time, as I was really tired of teal and wanted some spunk.. Lol... colors are the funnest thing about braces, besides movement that is.
I talked to my ortho about my sore teeth when flossing, and he said my gums are in tip top shape, and its just the added pressure making my gums hurt. He explained to me how my roots are pushing on my gums, so that makes sense that they would hurt..

Now, here's what you're all waiting for, the picture!

Here is the day before I was braced:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/20/cimg0766sw7.jpg
And here is today, after one month of braces:

I can tell a difference. My front upper teeth go over my front lower teeth much more, and the canine has come down... it just needs some extra encouragement, and hopefully my new elastics will give it just that...

Well, take care everyone!!

KJNELLAMORE

#28 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

You've definitely had movement!! Awesome!

Lisa65

#29 Post by Lisa65 »

I can definitely see movement there BM, it's all looking good.

I have pink and purple ligs too at the moment (well I did have until a week or so back when I had a curry :lol: ). I hope you're not a lover of curry because it turns the pink ligs peachy-orange!

Good luck with the wisdom teeth removal. I'm sure you know that the risk of death under anaesthetic is very low, although of course it will prey on your mind when you know somebody it happened to.

Once it's done, you'll be able to carry on down the road to your perfect smile and hopefully an end to all those migraines.

L x

jenfire

#30 Post by jenfire »

Wow, your teeth are looking great Blonde_Metal04. They're so white and I love the pink and purple ligs!
:D
jenfire
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months