Claire's Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Iccle_Peanut

Claire's Story

#1 Post by Iccle_Peanut »

Hi Everyone

I thought I’d share my story with everyone so anyone thinking of having braces (like I was) can get some info (like I did reading loads of braces stories).

Pictures will follow as soon as I figure out how to get them online.

Anyway my story started around ten years ago. I was told I needed braces and was advised to wear a removable brace and then I would need a fixed brace. I went ahead with the treatment, got my removable brace and had the most terrible time. I was mocked at school for having a terrible lisp due to my brace and in the end I got fed up and took it out and thought 'sod it' I’m not having a brace......oh how I regret it.
Anyway I’m 21 now and have wanted straight teeth for years. I always smile with my mouth closed and it can get embarrassing when your told to say cheese and I’m still closed mouthed. The thing that determined me to get orthodontic treatment at this time was the thought of not being able to smile on my graduation photo also my sister is getting married and I don't want to look like the only one who isn't smiling. Both events are happening in around two year’s time so I’m going to be finished in time hopefully. :) :) :)

Here is my log of dates

23rd June - First Consultation at ortho
24 July - Second Consultation - Decide on top braces
29 August - Decide on top and bottom braces.
Tops go on 26th Sept and bottoms 2-3 months after
26 September brace day
Lowers to be braced soon :roll:

As most of you may have noticed I did ask allot of questions before hand and to be honest I was really worried about the amount of pain I would receive from wearing braces and I think I was far to concerned than I ought to have been. :roll:

I have overcrowding on my uppers, I don't know the correct term but my canine is higher up than my other teeth and the three teeth behind it are badly positioned causing a really bad deep bite :twisted: . I had a tooth extracted (UL6) this needs closing. Approx time of treatment 1 year

As for my lowers, they are not as bad as my uppers, however i'm getting two teeth extracted and having the spaces closed with a metal brace in a couple of months time. Approx time of treatment 2 years

THE BIG DAY :banana:

I went in, lay in the chair, and it was over in about 20 - 25 mins. I didn't hurt getting the brace put on at all. My ortho asked me halfway through if I wanted to look at it and I decided not to, I wanted to see it all finished.

At first my mouth felt so weird. I looked and I was so surprised at how unnoticeable it was (ceramic on first 6, metal on sides).

My speech is not affected at all....I’m expecting a little change when my bottoms go on.

I've not experienced ANY PAIN...it's great. The only downfall is my back bracket gets stuck to my cheek during cleaning time but I shove wax on it as soon as I’m done.

Eating is ok, so far I’ve had, mashed potatoes with mayo (twice) chippy chips, rice with mushroom sauce, jacket potato with cheese, farley’s rusks (baby food but lovely) yoghurts, bananas, and a big thank you to LUCYLOOP (I think it was her) who recommended INNOCENT SMOOTHIES they are lovely. I'm too scared to eat anything with colour in!!!

I LOVE MY BRACE!!! I can't hide my smile now, it's impossible, I smile with my brace showing, I’m doing something about my teeth so why not. People have said great things about my brace, nothing horrible at all.

If your trying to decide whether to go for metal or ceramic then all I can say about ceramic is there not bigger than the metals and it makes you eat healthier. I've been drinking loads of water instead of tea and coffee and no chocolate for SIX DAYS. I feel healthier already.

I'm worried that I have no pain, but I'm guessing its because I'm only braced on my uppers for now.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, espec KIWI, i have no cuts in my mouth yet and i reckon thats down to the salt rinses....fabulous.

Hope I didn't bore anyone.
:D
Last edited by Iccle_Peanut on Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
23rd June - First Consultation at ortho
24 July - Second Consultation - Decide on top braces
29 August - Decide on top and bottom braces.
Tops go on 26th Sept and bottoms 2-3 months after

Matty

#2 Post by Matty »

Iccle_Peanut - we had the same brace day! :D

I had some of the same concerns that you did- especially about my speech being affected because I talk on the phone all day at work. But, mine wasn't affected either!

I'll bet you won't have any pain once you get your lowers on. I got both my uppers and lowers the same day and I haven't had any pain at all.

Congrats on starting your journey to straight teeth and make sure you keep us all posted! :BigGrin:

joney

#3 Post by joney »

Hi Iccle_Peanut

Hello from another English resident. It's great that you haven't had any pain. My daughter hasn't had any pain from her brace either. I guess some people get lucky that way. I'm hoping for the same (no pain) when I get my brace on October 27th.

Here's to your beautiful smile in a few years.

Regards
Joney