GemGal's Story (New with ANGRY GEM RANT ON PAGE 4)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

M1k3y

#16 Post by M1k3y »

Your upper teeth have really aligned themselves so there is definitely movement.
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

Lisa65

#17 Post by Lisa65 »

Wow those front ones have lined up so quickly, Gemgal! It looks like things are going great.

It's good you love your ortho and the team, it seems to make the ordeal of braces easier if you feel like you're in good hands. I luv my ortho and trust him implicitly and it makes all the difference.

Keep us posted with progress pictures. I must admit I'm a bit jealous that you will have lovely teeth in 6 months with this fast track treatment :D

tulip

#18 Post by tulip »

Wow, look at that arch!! Those front teeth, as well as the bottoms actually, have really done well. You must be thrilled.

GemGal

2nd adjustment

#19 Post by GemGal »

Hey everyone! I got my second adjustment today. I got a springy thingy in my mouth and a new top wire. I also got some great news that my x-bite is starting to go away and that my treatment is on schedule for six months!!! Here are my progress pics:

2nd Adjustment

1st Adjustment

Brace Day

I LOVE MY ORTHO! If you are in the NJ/NY AREA... I can give you his info!
XOXO
GemGal

Lisa65

#20 Post by Lisa65 »

I can definitely see some movement there, Gemgal. Glad to hear you are still on schedule and that things are going to plan!

GemGal

#21 Post by GemGal »

I had such an adventure today at my adjustment. I'm half way there - three months down, three to go!

First, :-1 I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. My holiday was filled with drinking plenty of red wine with family and friends (TIP: This is never a good idea when wearing clear ligs).

I got to the office early. While I waited, I picked up a People magazine. Since I had teeth on the brain, I was admiring the stars beautiful smiles and I was thinking to myself that when the braces come off, I'm getting them razored (is that the correct terminology?) to look even and getting them whitened.

My orthos assistant called me in at the start of my appointment and took off my wires and ligs. I looked over, and looked at my brown ligs (ewww!). She assured me it was probably from the red wine and too much coffee drinking.

The doctor came in and checked my bite. He stressed how it looked "VERY" good :D , but that I would need to continue to wear the elastic. :(

Next steps:

* I don't need to wear the spring anymore!
* He did a quick shave of a few teeth.
* He told me I needed the "OSTRICH" :shock:

Now a bit about the OSTRICH - My ortho gasped immediately and said OH NO! Other assistants in the area exclaimed, "That's not good!"

Let me tell you what my AWFUL sentence is this month. After my last meal of the day, I clean my teeth as usually and put on this OSTRICH elastic. It is used to correct my open bite. It starts on the fourth tooth from the centerline and x-crosses to the fourth tooth on the OTHER side - TOP AND BOTTOM. Meaning, my mouth is sealed shut and I look like a scarecrow from a horror flick. I have to do this every night until my next adjustment and at that time, I'll be told if I need further treatment.

ANYONE HEARD OF THIS??? :Questions:

The doctor than said, "I usually do this at the end, but I'm going to even up your top teeth" and he razored (again, not sure if this is the correct terminology) my top teeth and they look great! One step closer to a Hollywood smile! :jump:

He left and the ortho needed to add hooks onto my front top and bottom brackets for the OSTRICH! YIKES! It's like getting braced again for the first time (I asked for plenty of wax!). :ouch:

She finished up by adding my new wires and ligs (clear again). No pics yet but when I get a chance later tonight, I'll take a new spread.

Also, I want to thank everyone who has posted encouraging thoughts and information. I am not on here very often and I have not had a chance to catch up with your stories, so please post your blog page or email it to me and I'll catch up on all your adventures too!

Sending out lots of love and holiday cheer!!!!
XOXO
GemGal

joney

#22 Post by joney »

Hi Gemgal

Hope you are managing to get along with that ostrich! I hope I don't need one as I have an openbite but when I asked the ortho about it he said my elastics would be towards the back but you never can tell. Great that you're half way there, just stick with that thought if the ostrich is bothering you, I bet the first half has flown and hopefully the second half will too. Look forward to seeing how the speed treatment turns out for you.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

GemGal

#23 Post by GemGal »

Below you will find the new pics as promised. The ostrich is definitely a painful experience. The first night I woke up from a deep sleep in agony and took it out of mouth. (for an explanation of the Ostrich, Look at my earlier post).

I also need to get my teeth cleaned ASAP since the braces have made yucky buildup a little faster (YES I floss and brush and rinse religiously now :-) ) That will be an interesting experience. Anyone get a teeth cleaning in braces?

I also came to a realization. I think that getting six month braces is a great experience and that the ortho and his assistant are GREAT! At the same time, if I knew what being in braces would be like, I would have been braced earlier, even if it was for a longer treatment time. This is a wonderful experience and being in braces of any kind is a positive life changing event. I don't get teased. My life didn't stop because I wore braces. In fact, I find I get more compliments, people approach me with an interest in getting them and it makes me more interesting. HOORAY TO BRACEFACES AROUND THE WORLD!!!

bracedagain & joney - Don't worry about a possible ostrich config. I feel that when I'm in pain or discomfort, something is happening that is positive to my teeth and its not a bad thing.

KK - Thank you for the encouragement!

XOXO
GemGal

GemGal

#24 Post by GemGal »

Below you will find the new pics as promised. The ostrich is definitely a painful experience. The first night I woke up from a deep sleep in agony and took it out of mouth. (for an explanation of the Ostrich, Look at my earlier post).

I also need to get my teeth cleaned ASAP since the braces have made yucky buildup a little faster (YES I floss and brush and rinse religiously now :-) ) That will be an interesting experience. Anyone get a teeth cleaning in braces?

I also came to a realization. I think that getting six month braces is a great experience and that the ortho and his assistant are GREAT! At the same time, if I knew what being in braces would be like, I would have been braced earlier, even if it was for a longer treatment time. This is a wonderful experience and being in braces of any kind is a positive life changing event. I don't get teased. My life didn't stop because I wore braces. In fact, I find I get more compliments, people approach me with an interest in getting them and it makes me more interesting. HOORAY TO BRACEFACES AROUND THE WORLD!!!

bracedagain & joney - Don't worry about a possible ostrich config. I feel that when I'm in pain or discomfort, something is happening that is positive to my teeth and its not a bad thing.

KK - Thank you for the encouragement!

XOXO
GemGal

Lisa65

#25 Post by Lisa65 »

oh my goodness Gemgal - that ostrich sure looks complicated! At least you know it's only for a short while.
Other than that your teeth look great. Congratulations on reaching the half-way point in your treatment. :D

Lisa x

Kimochi Warui

Inspire Ice, Red Wine and Green Tea

#26 Post by Kimochi Warui »

Helloooo,

GemGal I was glad to hear that you were happy with the Ice brackets.

How careful do you have to be about staining???

I love red wine and am imagining that I will have to give it up for the next year and a half (except maybe right before an appointment).

What about tea? I drink a lot of green tea ... which stains my cup ...

Is there anything you can do to stop staining?

Just preparing myself for the next year and half.

Getting braces next week - I'm dreading it one minute and anxious to get them on so I can get to the point where I see improvements.

thanks!

GemGal

#27 Post by GemGal »

OOPS posted twice!
Last edited by GemGal on Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XOXO
GemGal

GemGal

#28 Post by GemGal »

Hi all! I haven't been around in awhile and I don't have any new pics but I wanted to stop by and fill you all in on my braces story.

I am still wearing the ostriches at night and my open bite is doing MUCH better. However, it is taking longer to close than expected so my six month braces may become seven to eight months. I'm a little bummed but I'd rather get it done right than rush and have an almost perfect smile. I also no longer have to wear the elastic for my crossbite. It has been corrected!!! HIP HIP HOORAY!

My teeth are MUCH straighter and I am loving the compliments. I recently saw an old friend last night who had braces and I took one look at his smile and thought WOW that was worth it. It gave me renewed confidence that we are all making the right decision with our treatments because a nice smile really does make a difference.

Kimochi Warui Sorry for the delayed response. The brackets don't stain, but the ligs do. Every wire change is a new chance for a clean look! So don't worry about staining too much unless you have a special occassion between visits. Good luck with your new braces!

bracedagain The ostrich is only one big elastic and it does hurt and in the mornings still my mouth is a little sore. I have to wait awhile to even brush my teeth because of the soreness.

KK My hygienist told me the buildup is due to me not properly using the interdental. It was embarrassing. =( My cleaning was painful, but I'm hoping the next one will be easier!

Have a great day all!
XOXO
GemGal

GemGal

8 1/2 Months with Pics

#29 Post by GemGal »

Ok, so from a treatment time of six to nine months, I will be heading towards a treatment time of 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 months. It's not the docs fault. it's not my fault. It's just that my teeth are not wanting to be corrected. My teeth flared up and as I stated in an earlier entry, I had to wear the nightmare ostriches. But before I get into the last few months, heres my current smile.

And here is the nightmare of why my teeth are still in braces.

And why I still want them in braces.

Its a hole of death that refuses to close. *Sigh* So, my current treatment consists of a 'side ostrich". Basically an elastic that runs up and down the right side of my mouth on the four top and bottom teeth. OUCH. This is every night and I still wake up with a sore mouth. My tolerance for pain is rising.

I ALSO have to wear this elastic thingy for this month:

Not quite sure why. I would have asked but I was fighting back the tears when the doc told me I needed more time but if I wanted them off I could take them off. All I kept thinking was, Of course I want them off, but I only plan on doing this once in this lifetime and this is it so you might as well do it right.

As for my braces story, The last few months have been blank for several reasons. There was nothing new to say. At the ortho it was more of the same. As for my personal life, more of the same with some fun things in between. I took a vacation out in las vegas for memorial day weekend plus I applied to graduate school. I'm still waiting for my acceptance letters. But as for my braces, I just have to keep reminding myself, I look better with braces on than I did before. SHEESH.

Hope everyone else's story is going well.

XOXO

GemGal
XOXO
GemGal

GemGal

#30 Post by GemGal »

Thank you KK!! I'll have a talk with my teeth everyday until they cooperate. :D
XOXO
GemGal